`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ty Cobb T206 Questions

Ty Cobb T206 Questions
Ive been given the opportunity to buy 4 versions of the Ty Cobb T206, but Im not really educated about vintage. There is a green back, red back, rainbow back and a yellow and green back. In general, which backs are most rare? Also, how can I tell if its a fake? They look legit to me but there's a ton of reprints out there that look good to me. Thanks for the help!

Looking for Chase Utley, Luka, Messi, Tatis, Jalen hurts, Allen Iverson, Tom Brady, Mahomes, Josh Allen, Juan Soto, Ronald Acuna, Bryce Harper, Allen & Ginter Framed autos

Top Wants
1. Tom Brady Skybox E-x rookie
2. 1998 Peyton Manning Bowman Chrome Rc Refractor
3. Mike Trout Auto

RE: Ty Cobb T206 Questions
Well I can't really tell you the answers to our questions..., but I would say if you can post some pictures here someone may be able to help more, also have you tried comparing the to some that are one that auction site? Hope this helps, and good luck!

(12-30-2013, 09:08 AM)kfeldman Wrote: Ive been given the opportunity to buy 4 versions of the Ty Cobb T206, but Im not really educated about vintage. There is a green back, red back, rainbow back and a yellow and green back. In general, which backs are most rare? Also, how can I tell if its a fake? They look legit to me but there's a ton of reprints out there that look good to me. Thanks for the help!
Those aren't the actual backs, they are the background of the front of the card, A portrait card with a green back and also a version with a red back, I think the other two you are referring to are the versions where Cobb is holding a bat, The green is the more expensive, following the two with him holding the bat, then the red back portrait. Now as for rarity, the actual backs of the cards depending on the brand of tobacco make it rare. Just google it and you can see which backs are more rare, with piedmont and sweet corporal being the most common.
Photobucket

Here is some more information that could be helpful.....

[Image: img124a_zpsa7f5cb58.jpg]

[Image: img124_zps03d86cba.jpg]

If you are getting a deal that's too good to be true (unless its an old person who just found them in their attic) it probably is.
When buying Major stars from T-206, you probably want them to be authenticated by one of the major graders. If they aren't you could be taking a big chance.

Also, if you aren't that familiar with vintage, either start getting very familiar with it or stick to what you know. There are plenty of people who exploit other's naivete.
[Image: sig2_zps1ec2af91.jpg]

Thanks for the education guys. A local auction house has them for sale and I have a feeling that they're gonna be super cheap. I just wanted to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into.
Looking for Chase Utley, Luka, Messi, Tatis, Jalen hurts, Allen Iverson, Tom Brady, Mahomes, Josh Allen, Juan Soto, Ronald Acuna, Bryce Harper, Allen & Ginter Framed autos

Top Wants
1. Tom Brady Skybox E-x rookie
2. 1998 Peyton Manning Bowman Chrome Rc Refractor
3. Mike Trout Auto

I do have 3 of the 4 versions, only needing the bat off shoulder. I have the cards graded 2 and 3. At those conditions they don't come cheap either. They are very desirable and if it is at a local auction you may have a chance to get a better deal. Just be sure you know how much you are willing to spend. My Cobb green portrait was my first T206 card. After that, I have picked a few dozens more. You will be addicted to T206, just ask Wayne. Great cards to collect