`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
designating rookie cards

RE: designating rookie cards
(12-28-2013, 11:07 AM)OrangeBlooded31 Wrote: I agree with the topic creator to some extent. When I got back into the hobby I was dissapointed to see that every rookie card was basically an insert set now. It makes set collecting more expensive than it needs to be.

Yes, limiting them does make them more valuable...but should my Jordan Sigalet Young Gun really be worth more or equal to the rookie cards of Ed Belfour or Dominik Hasek? Hall of Fame player rookie cards, compared to a guy we will never hear from again in the NHL.

It is what it is though, and I do admit, it makes opening a box of cards more exciting...which I guess is the whole point!
Set collecting isn't hard, time consuming, or expensive - unless you try and do EVERY set. I do UD and SPA every year and have very little trouble doing it and always get the sets done for less than what I would spend on a case

I'm not sure Ed Belfour and Dominik Hasek are good examples, since stuff was WAY overproduced in those years. The 80's or mid-late 90's are better examples, and I think you'll find the Sigalet to come to the same value as players like Daniel Alfredsson or Pat Verbeek, and less than HOF'ers such as Robitaille, Hull, Shanahan, Neely

[Image: finlandbanner.jpg]
Bucket - http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/phildonu37/ (I don't update my bucket when stuff is gone)

I like the idea of the SP RC's because it drives up value and i'd love to add value to my collection. I'd love to even sell those cards off so i can buy the cards i want/need to finish other sets. I also love it because i know only 99 people will have the true complete set. I like when I'm one of only a certain number of people to have something. I like the idea that hopefully someday, my investments will be worth something (not like the cards of the 90's) Can you imagine how much a gretzky RC would be if it was /99 ?

At the same time, I hate the SP RC because it has a bunch of rookies that never turn into anything and people think they will always hold their value. Beckett does not reflect actual prices and it drives me nuts when people want hundreds of dollars for a rookie who played 2 games but is a /99. It also drives me nuts trying to finish up a set that has such a short print run with cards but at the same time, its one of the reasons i love collecting...the chase of the cards and completing a low numbered set. So i guess this one would go up to the top.

I hate the 90's how they mass produced cards. I think hall of famer rookie cards should be worth a lot of money and i think the only way to do that is keep them short print and hope they make it big and one day holding onto one of those /99 RCs worth it. I think it's an insult that rookies who played a game have cards worth more than hall of famers like the people you described.
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches

" I think it's an insult that rookies who played a game have cards worth more than hall of famers like the people you described."

This is the point I was trying to make about print runs hurting cards. If regular cards all had regular print runs then the 90's Hall of Famers would be worth more, like they should be, and scrubs today would be worth less...like they should be.

Collecting: Kevin Hodson, Goaltender Rookie Cards, 1995-96 Fleer Metal Inserts.

I don't think anything done today will correct the mistakes of the 90's. I think they've learned from their lessons thus making the RC's sp....and than when these rookies become hall of famers it should even itself out. eventually.
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches

My only gripe with SP RC is if-- for example-- the lesser know rookies are numbered to 999 the big name players should be also. All RC for a particular set should be inserted at the same rate or serial numbered to the same number.