`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: What to do with factory sets?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Keep 'em sealed
43.48%
10 43.48%
Open them for the inserts
56.52%
13 56.52%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you do with your factory sets?
Heart 
What would you do with your factory sets?
Looking for input on whether or not I should open my factory sets to pull out the "5 Orange inserts" or keep the set sealed? What would you do?
To facilitate trading, please mark your wants in the "wants" column and "trade for" column in your Org.
[Image: Henderson-Discussion-Signature.jpg]

RE: What would you do with your factory sets?
I'd open them for the inserts and hopefully hit some superstars... Those cards are ridiculously tough to find for player collectors and can potentially fetch well over book value.

There is a '13 Topps Cespedes rainbow up on the bay right now for $125 OBO... I was going to make an offer on it because I need doubles of every card for my trophy project and Cespedes collection... Anyway, long story short, it was not a full rainbow... It had the camo /99, pink /50, black /62, silver slate /10... But guess what... no factory orange /210.

hmmm definitely food for thought in this debate I am having.
To facilitate trading, please mark your wants in the "wants" column and "trade for" column in your Org.

I always keep my factory sealed boxes sealed especially if you plan on hanging onto them for some time.
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

Not sure and the poll appears to help little as it is 50/50 as of this post.

(12-26-2013, 07:14 AM)muz0 Wrote: I always keep my factory sealed boxes sealed especially if you plan on hanging onto them for some time.
+2
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

Thanks to everyone for their input so far.

i voted keep it sealed, but it is up to what you plan for "long term" with the cards.

lemme tell you a story.. (LOL)

i had 3 1991 donruss baseball sealed factory sets in 91. they were over $100 then at woolworths i think (woolworths!!).. the insert studio preview cards were making their way up on the beckett price guide for a time. i poped and opened them.. got the "good ones" too.. i held on to them but never sold.. well.. you can see what the price on these sets and inserts are now.. crap! even sealed.. so now i wish i would have left them sealed at least to have "fresh cards", not slightly yellowing edges from 20+ years of storage..

if you want to make $$, open and sell.. if you truely want to collect them "forever" leave them sealed and get ready for a massive price hit after time.. good luck with your decision.

I've got Pro Set for Trade. All years, All sports, including Non-Sport and Errors and Variations. I collect All Pro Set and All Baseball from 1980 - 1991.

The object is to collect.
Open them, arrange them in order and sell or trade the inserts.
The cost on sealed sets is higher, but I can't really think of any sealed sets that are priced so significant that you can't enjoy the cards.
If you are spending money hoping to find lightning in a bottle, buy slabbed vintage HOFers, not sealed sets. Sometimes you can find for half its value and they don't go down.
[Image: sig2_zps1ec2af91.jpg]

I've got a question:
The 2013 set with the Babe Ruth silk card ... Has anyone opened theirs! Were the 5 card rookie exclusives any good? Is there a list of who you'd get in the factory box?
Thanks
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.