`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best of Surfing Ebay and Craiglist

RE: Best of Surfing Ebay and Craiglist
(12-22-2013, 02:35 AM)petillo64 Wrote: Not ebay or Craigslist but...

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1551462.html

They normally go for $2000, I'll take 1999.99 haha
Wow, I hadn't even seen that thread. I almost feel bad for that guy. Everybody thinks their first big pull is priceless. If you look at it from the eyes of a typical consumer, it kind of makes sense. Say you've just thrown down $70 on a box of Topps Chrome. You pull a cool card #'d to 100 and think, "Wow, only 100 made? There's 300 million people in this country!" So naturally you assume it's got to be worth a fat amount, at least $50 or so.

My point is that the average person who doesn't "get it" when it comes to collecting cards would expect that we must be making money or something. Why else would we spend so much on pieces of paper? In reality, there's maybe a 20 to 33% return on a good day for the amount we put into a box. The average mind can't comprehend how anybody would knowingly throw away money like that.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

(12-22-2013, 04:47 AM)cross4444 Wrote: Wow, I hadn't even seen that thread. I almost feel bad for that guy. Everybody thinks their first big pull is priceless.
+1. I was the same way when I pulled my 1st Plate...thinking $500+ (star player) until everyone here burst my bubble....LOL. I didn't however start sprouting about N/A Beckett values, 1/1's, nor did I offer a $0.01 discount to the members here from "what they were selling for online".

Also, what can we do if the folks who aren't collectors don't get why we "throw our money away" on cardboard? They just don't understand.....we are addicts!!!! LOL

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(12-22-2013, 08:44 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: +1. I was the same way when I pulled my 1st Plate...thinking $500+ (star player) until everyone here burst my bubble....LOL. I didn't however start sprouting about N/A Beckett values, 1/1's, nor did I offer a $0.01 discount to the members here from "what they were selling for online".

Also, what can we do if the folks who aren't collectors don't get why we "throw our money away" on cardboard? They just don't understand.....we are addicts!!!! LOL
Yeah, it's a reality check for sure.

The $.01 discount was the real clincher in not making me feel bad at all. The spreading of beckett pricing wisdom was icing on the cake.

PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

One of my saved searches on the bay is LeBron cards.

Takes me FOREVER to sift through those piece of crap "graded rookie cards" which are in reality just a cheap, overproduced box set broken into singles and graded by a third-tier company.

I wouldn't pay $5 for one of those, and there are literally hundreds of them on the bay.