`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Who's the most disappointing player you ever collected?

RE: Who's the most disappointing player you ever collected?
(12-18-2013, 08:39 PM)uvaspina Wrote: To provide some counterbalance to the cheerful holiday season, thought I'd dig into our biggest collecting regrets.

For my part, my biggest whiff has been on Cameron Maybin (200+ cards). I still hold out a shred of hope that he can turn it around...

So, let's hear it. Anyone spend a ridiculous amount on a guy no one remembers any more? Are there any erstwhile Damion Easley supercollectors out there? Anyone think that Matt Bush was the second coming? Did you trade your Pujols rookie for an Angel Berroa auto back in the day?
In 1988 I bought 100 2nd year cards of Bobby Bonillia, his R/C was highly desired & I had read a story how 2nd year star cards increase much better percentage wise than a R/C already up there in price. Of course at that time I was under the assumption BV is also sell price.
Oh well.. lol In addition I also bought 100 card lots of Clemens, Strawberry, Gooden & Boggs.
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered

(12-20-2013, 12:33 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Should have had him sign a ball at one of those sleepovers, just in case, LOL
I've thought that! Cecil signed a few balls for us. I had plenty of opportunity to have Prince scrawl his signature on one and never thought to at that time. Would've been pretty cool though!
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Steve Avery. Had tons of his 1990 Leaf cards, 1989 topps draft picks, minor league cards, even met him at a show and had him sign a card for me. Followed him from the moment he got drafted and couldn't wait for him to make it to the majors. Oh well.
[Image: Jones%20Kershaw_zpswfyrmlav.jpg]

When I was 12 I started collecting 4 players, Albert Belle, Kenny Lofton, Phil Plantier and Juan Guzman which turned out to all be cardboard busts. I had over 600 Albert Belle cards by the mid-90's and spent a lot of hard earned allowance on cards that didn't pan out. More recently I jumped on the Conor Jackson badwagon because he played minor league ball in my hometown and thought he had a real shot of becoming a star. I spent big dollars on his cards and got all of his key cards graded...today I am sitting on over 300 Jackson cards with about 30 of them graded by BGS. The only player I did get right in collecting was Derek Jeter...great stories on this topic with all of the could have beens
[Image: Untitled-1copy.jpg]
Derek Jeter Card Count: 3,981 Total Cards, 1,998 Unique Cards and 332 Graded Cards. I Will trade anything I have for any Derek Jeter cards

Mine by far is Travis Lee... 1997 I know I went crazy when bowman chrome first hit the selves. Need I say more.... Drawing comparison to Ken Griffey Jr. Lmao!
https://rad3427.imgbb.com/
WANT LIST
1. Nolan Arenado RCs (all colors)
2. Ken Griffey Jr (90s inserts)
3. Bryce Harper RCs (all colors)
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

As a collector of Hall of Fame players I have tried to jump on the bandwagon early on a lot of players including all of these from the start of their MLB careers. Some were bigger misses than others. Although I have impressive collections of all of these guys, the only player on this list that I still actively collect is Canseco.

Albert Belle
Jesse Barfield
Jose Canseco
Joe Carter
Will Clark
Vince Coleman
Eric Davis
J.D. Drew
Dwight Evans
Cecil Fielder
Steve Garvey
Juan Gonzalez
Dwight Gooden
Mark Grace
Mike Greenwell
Bo Jackson
Oddibe McDowell
Lloyd Moseby
Dale Murphy
Matt Nokes
Hideo Nomo
Dave Parker
Mark Prior
Tim Raines
Scott Rolen
Benito Santiago
Cory Snyder
Alfonso Soriano
Darryl Strawberry
Mo Vaughn
Jerome Walton
Matt Williams
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(12-20-2013, 01:42 PM)rad_1205 Wrote: Mine by far is Travis Lee... 1997 I know I went crazy when bowman chrome first hit the selves. Need I say more.... Drawing comparison to Ken Griffey Jr. Lmao!
Man he was supposed to be great! He started out with a really good rookie season then just disappeared!
[Image: drdwe0.jpg]

I guess the only people that I really 'invested' in that didn't pan out (at least not yet Smile ) was Jesus Montero and Hector Noesi, then when they were traded from the Yankees for Michael Pineda, I started buying Pineda, figuring that the Yankees knew who they were trading all that minor league talent for ... yeah right! We all know how that turned out! So I said, Hmmmm, probably better to buy into yankees that will be on the team for a long time, like Cano Smile (good choice...hah) ....I think Cashman has access to my ebay account and follows who I buy just to cut them out from under me Smile
Oh well. At least Cano has some talent and is in the Majors for the next 10 years. Montero and Noesi ???? Who knows???
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Kevin Stocker was mine. Collected everything he had out in the 90's. Hit .324 his rookie year and I though Philly finally found a good one. Got traded to Tampa for Abreu and that was it. Still have his cards today.
Collecting Phillies base cards from 1950-present
Collecting all catcher prospect and rookie cards

Well, with me only collecting Nolan Ryan, seems I can't share in your misery.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!