`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Who's the most disappointing player you ever collected?

RE: Who's the most disappointing player you ever collected?
(12-19-2013, 10:08 PM)petillo64 Wrote: Haha. Not this again... Can we just accept the fact that he is the second best Cuban defector outfielder in baseball?
Come on man. I'm an A's/Cespedes fan, too, but ... call me when Yo hits .300!
(12-19-2013, 10:30 PM)ryanmo5 Wrote: I think it's funny that you give all the credit to him, how about the 4 starting pitchers who dominated down the stretch? Pitching is what got them to the playoffs, hell when you have that kinda pitching you better make the playoffs! Jose Fernandez and Puig both have talent but Fernandez was by far the better player in their rookie seasons.
They had the same four pitchers before Puig got called up.

Dodgers without Puig = Last

Dodgers with Puig = First

Marlins without Fernandez = Last

Marlins with Fernandez = Last

Puig not getting at least co-ROY = Ridiculous

how many threads will you hijack on this topic?

let it go, or just kneecap jose and get it over with

Not debating who should win ROY both are deserving but Dont forget that Hanley Rameriz also had a huge impact on the Dodgers when he came off DL and no way the Dodgers would have finished last even if Puig never played a inning.

(12-19-2013, 10:55 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: how many threads will you hijack on this topic?

let it go, or just kneecap jose and get it over with
You, sir, would vote for Toe Nash if you could.

(12-19-2013, 09:33 PM)Ziveus101 Wrote: *Dellin Betances
Because Betances was never an investment and just a guy I collected for sentimental reasons I can't say I'm too disappointed with Betances. I'm more frustrated as he clearly has the right stuff but just can't get it together (like so many players before him).
I started collecting Dellin in 2012 when his prospect stock fell hard and I was able to get a lot of really awesome pieces for cheap (although they'd be even cheaper now). I didn't necissarily get a steal everytime as some people still held out hope that he'd be something in 2013 and I did end up giving away a few notable pieces (a couple of 1/1s, some Harpers, some HoFers etc...). Still, as Betances's value continues to plummit and more opportunities for potential steals pop up, I'm still going to collect Betances until the day I finally meet him in person.

*Francisco Cervelli
Ah yes, another heir to the throne that Posada, Munson, Berra, Howard and Dickey once sat in. While I can't say I'm too disappointed with Cervelli (mostly since I probably haven't spent more than $100 on my entire Cervelli collection) watching his career as a fan has been pretty frustrating. While it's not exactly his fault the Yankees didn't give him a chance in 2012 nor is it his fault that he got injured in 2013 (after having a red hot April BTW), there have been so many times where I really wanted him to take that step forward and yet his career goes and takes 2 steps backwards.
And before anyone asks, no I'm NOT disappointed with Cervelli because he used PEDs. I'm indifferent to whether or not a player uses PEDs or greenies or whatever (I'm still a huge A-Rod fan to this day), although that's a whole other discussion entirely. As his career stats unfortunately indicate, it's not like they did jack in the first place anyway.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. -Not necessarily from an "investment" perspective, but just a player you had high hopes for, started collecting like crazy, and hasn't panned out (yet...). I think it's interesting to get some perspective on players we've collected like crazy over the years only to be let down.

That said, I think it's kind of cool when I see someone who has a surprisingly impressive collection of a player who you wouldn't think would be particularly collectible. Like the guy who super collects Dirk Hayhurst, or Wally Joyner, or Willy Mo Pena. In the end, that's what it's about--collecting what you like and making the best collection you can. I'm not under any delusion that this hobby is a good "investment," but like anyone else, I cringe a little when I spend a lot on something that ends up becoming worth a fraction of what I paid for it.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Juan Gonzalez was mine since then I learned to diversify my collection
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

This may sound odd, but Prince Fielder.

I am a Tigers fan and was a huge Cecil Fielder collector back in the day.

So, when Prince's Brewers cards came out, I collected those, too.

When he signed with Detroit a couple of years ago I was ecstatic and basically busted every product (retail, specifically) just chasing his first Tigers cards.

Then, a couple of months ago, Topps sent me this crazy auto as a redemption replacement ...

[Image: PrinceSolo_zps0c27eb7f.jpg]

Granted, my enthusiasm for it was tempered somewhat by the fact that I got it about two days after he and the Tigers flamed out against the Red Sox, but it was still a cornerstone of my Prince/Tigers collection.

Then, about a month later, he got traded to Texas.

So, in two years, he provided enough protection for Miggy to win a Triple Crown (and almost a second one) and they went to the playoffs both years, but basically they have nothing to show for it.

And now he's gone. I was just looking through all of them the other day thinking about how much time, money and effort I put into collecting them all.

Mostly a "what if" or "what could have been" type of thing.

Greg Jefferies, Kevin Seitzer, Wally Joyner, Sam Horn, Pat Listach, Kevin Maas, Todd Van Poppel, Brien Taylor

You know what else was disappointing: Opening up packs in the 80s-90s, seeing the Yankee logo, seeing a left handed hitter, thinking it was Mattingly, and only to find that the card was that of none other than..... wait for it..... wait for it..... Mike Pagliarulo.
[Image: mantle_banner_softglow_zps37b4eec9.gif]

(12-19-2013, 11:57 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: This may sound odd, but Prince Fielder.

I am a Tigers fan and was a huge Cecil Fielder collector back in the day.

So, when Prince's Brewers cards came out, I collected those, too.

When he signed with Detroit a couple of years ago I was ecstatic and basically busted every product (retail, specifically) just chasing his first Tigers cards.

Then, a couple of months ago, Topps sent me this crazy auto as a redemption replacement ...

[Image: PrinceSolo_zps0c27eb7f.jpg]

Granted, my enthusiasm for it was tempered somewhat by the fact that I got it about two days after he and the Tigers flamed out against the Red Sox, but it was still a cornerstone of my Prince/Tigers collection.

Then, about a month later, he got traded to Texas.

So, in two years, he provided enough protection for Miggy to win a Triple Crown (and almost a second one) and they went to the playoffs both years, but basically they have nothing to show for it.

And now he's gone. I was just looking through all of them the other day thinking about how much time, money and effort I put into collecting them all.

Mostly a "what if" or "what could have been" type of thing.
I feel you man. When I got back into collecting a few years ago I was *this close* to starting a Fielder PC. I knew Price as a kid (having gone to the same school with him in Detroit) and was a huge Cecil fan back in the day. My younger brother was actually pretty good friends with him when they were younger and he came to our house for sleepovers and such. I'm a few years older than them, so I can't really say that I was "friends" with him or even knew him that well. (This was back in the early 90's). I will say that he was a really nice (and BIG) kid who could crush a large pizza by himself when he was 8. He was crazy strong for his age too. In wrestling, he was indomitable.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Should have had him sign a ball at one of those sleepovers, just in case, LOL