`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it me or is Topps Five Star..........

RE: Is it me or is Topps Five Star..........
(12-19-2013, 08:41 PM)uvaspina Wrote: It's like the lottery. There's a lot of dud scratch off tickets that make the $10k winner possible. I agree with you though, a hundred bucks on a $500+ purchase is blood-boiling. Topps ought to take extra care collating these high-end boxes to avoid the feeling of being totally ripped off.
I've probably argued this point time and again, but it isn't a lottery and it isn't gambling. It's a product with variable content. Topps should (can) make sure that EVERY box that sells for $500 should have at least $500 worth of product ... If you're lucky and hit a box that's worth more .... Bonus! But there shouldn't be 100:1 ratio of garbage to gems. Like I mentioned in other posts, Tier One shouldn't have rookies, Bowman Prospects and Draft is set up for prospecting. Five Star should be populated with years past and last years' bonified stars, not AAA pitching prospects.
Also, remember .... If we don't buy it, then retailers won't carry it, then Topps might get a clue. People that go to the National and see Topps reps at other shows should voice their displeasure .... Repeatedly! (While you're at it, throw in a 'hate redemption' rant or two Smile )
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(12-23-2013, 09:03 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: (While you're at it, throw in a 'hate redemption' rant or two Smile )
+1

I guess that would be another thread. Probably is one if I look.

Good points on the amount of rookies in high-end products. Rookies and prospect autos are the easiest to get either in person or TTM (outside of Buxton and Harper type). Therefore I really don't put much value into them since I can get them for the price of two stamps. I would much prefer if Topps would include more semi-star players in place of all of these rookies. As a Royals fan, 2013 was especially frustrating. Billy Butler and Salvador Perez had abundant autos in every high-end product and James Shields ended up in a couple. Other than that, there are 22 other guys on the roster at any time that could have signed to differentiate from the other high end products. We don't have any superstar level players that Topps couldn't afford, it's just laziness on their part.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]