`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about BV of modern day RCs

Question about BV of modern day RCs
Just an observation that has me perplexed in my simpled out state of mind here in the wee hours(way past my bedtime). I have noticed that even in most base sets of not so premium brands, such as plain Topps and Bowman, many of the RCs are listed with a BV of at least $1. Even for guys no one has heard of. I have seen this even on sets that are 7 to 10 years old. Why do you think that is? Are the card companies really making that many less than they did in the 1990's hey days to command the BV of $1 even for common RCs? I just want some realilistic thoughts on the matter.

RE: Question about BV of modern day RCs
yes, in the late 80's and early 90's, they made tens of millions of sets. maybe more. so yes, production is much less now than it was then

So is that the single biggest contributing factor to higher BV on commons?

i would say that, and probably the higher price point for boxes, even vanilla sets like topps flagship

+1 on less production and higher initial cost of the cards. Also, BV is realative IMO for ungraded cards as a trading value and a starting point for non-LCS or store front pricing. I use 40% of BV as my max for a card purchase on newer stuff..older stuff depends as alot of the pricing seems to be way outdated (ie 1970 Topps card with a BV of $0.15).

Also with the proliferation of parallel's, relics and auto's, base RC's just don't get the love they once did.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(12-15-2013, 08:12 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: ..older stuff depends as alot of the pricing seems to be way outdated (ie 1970 Topps card with a BV of $0.15).
This is one point I was hoping someone would bring up. I am a collector of 1950s-1980s Football. The 1970s stuff is getting a lot harder to find, expecially in higher grades. Yet there sems to be a bias towards them in the price guide.