`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cano to the Mariners

RE: Cano to the Mariners
(12-06-2013, 01:20 PM)jayohhessaych Wrote: Why does everyone assume the Mariners don't have money? They have a huge tv deal and have been spending well under their means for years. This is not an A-rod to Texas with no hope to sign anyone else type deal. They are not done.
Because traditionally they have not been big spenders and aren't a big market club.
Everyone is getting big tv deals which increases the bidding.

I'd be shocked if the mariners still go out and get someone like choo or Cruz (please let the mariners sign Cruz to a big deal, that would be delicious)

(12-06-2013, 02:47 PM)rentzington Wrote: Because traditionally they have not been big spenders and aren't a big market club.
Everyone is getting big tv deals which increases the bidding.

I'd be shocked if the mariners still go out and get someone like choo or Cruz (please let the mariners sign Cruz to a big deal, that would be delicious)
They aren't the Yankees but this is not a small market. Since 02 they have been in the top 10 in payroll every year but 3, 2 of those were '12 and '13, and those years we were told they were saving to spend in the future. It looks like the future is now.

The gm is on a 1 year deal and has a deep minor league system, it would make sense after this signing to go hard for help now. Don't expect another big free agent signing expect them to trade for whatever help they can get.

(12-06-2013, 01:47 PM)Ziveus101 Wrote: As for the Yankees, 6 words. 4th Place In The AL East.
I do agree with this. As a Yankees and Phillies fan I may be looking to adopt a team for the next season because both of my teams are not looking too good. The Yankees may have a chance at a Wildcard at the best (doubt it) but my Phils are dead in the water for at least the next 3 years IMO

(12-06-2013, 12:45 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Awesome in my opinion. Now if Cashman can talk some sense into Ruben...........
Ruben Amaro Jr is a clueless DB so don't count on it. I won't step foot in Citizens Bank Park until he is fired. I haven't been to a game in the last 2 years and will continue the boycott. His nickname is Ruin Tomorrow Jr. I didn't think it was possible for him to be a worse GM than he was a player....I was wrong. If my dumb a$$ saw this coming a couple years ago, how is the GM of a major league team still not seeing it? Sorry. End of my rant

(12-06-2013, 04:02 PM)jayohhessaych Wrote: They aren't the Yankees but this is not a small market. Since 02 they have been in the top 10 in payroll every year but 3, 2 of those were '12 and '13, and those years we were told they were saving to spend in the future.

mariners payroll:
2013: $ 84,199,643
2012: $ 84,928,100
2011: $ 94,623,191
2010: $ 91,143,333
2009: $ 98,904,166
2008: $117,666,482
2007: $106,460,833
2006: $ 87,959,833
2005: $ 87,754,334
2004: $ 81,515,834
2003: $ 86,959,167

2003, they were number 11
most years they were 9th or 10. the highest was 7th (in 2003)
2011, 16th
2012: 18th
2013: 24th

so, you were close, but quite accurate. since 2002, they have been top 10 only 7 times

and fwiw: they werent spending so they could spend in the future isnt quite the truth. they were spending because nintendo took huge losses

dont expect that you will have a top 10 payroll this year, even with having two players make close to 50 million this year

and not for nothing, both both sides of the argument: payroll doesnt equal market size

i mean...the Sounders (seattles soccer team) has a higher attendance than the mariners
also: seattle is the 13th largest market

http://www.arbitron.com/home/mm001050.asp
15th by population

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Met...ical_Areas
(12-06-2013, 06:48 PM)phillies816 Wrote: I do agree with this. As a Yankees and Phillies fan I may be looking to adopt a team for the next season because both of my teams are not looking too good.
hi. red sox nation always accepts newcomers :p

(12-06-2013, 07:19 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: hi. red sox nation always accepts newcomers :p
Thanks for the invite but that will NEVER happen. I may go see Fenway at some point and party a little in Boston but that's as far as it will ever go Smile

(12-06-2013, 07:30 PM)phillies816 Wrote: Thanks for the invite but that will NEVER happen. I may go see Fenway at some point and party a little in Boston but that's as far as it will ever go Smile
lol. you come to boston, your first beer is in me

that wasnt a typo

(12-06-2013, 07:47 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: lol. you come to boston, your first beer is in me

that wasnt a typo
LOL Thanks

(12-06-2013, 12:45 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Awesome in my opinion. Now if Cashman can talk some sense into Ruben...........
More like if the Yankees fire Cashman. He is the single biggest problem for them and has been for the past 10 years.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

How so....they just won the WS 4 years ago.....can't help it if guys get hurt or don't perform as expected. Look at everyone who was out last year and they were still in it come mid-September. I'm not a Yankee fan, but I don't so much root aginst other teams as for my Phils. Pay attention to Ruben Amaro and the destruction he has imposed here.....you will think twice about Cashman.

I think both teams did well in this saga and Cano doesn't have to worry about endorsements and the like. He has more than enough money to keep himself happy. Also, assuming he plays at his current level for 5 years.....Cooperstown is already set. What the heck does he need NY for now?
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(12-06-2013, 09:37 PM)hempick Wrote: More like if the Yankees fire Cashman. He is the single biggest problem for them and has been for the past 10 years.
cashman didnt want the arod contract, the steinbrenners did

cashman wanted to develop the farm, the steinbrenners didnt

cashman isnt the problem. the ownership's need to "feed the beast" is