`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your thoughts on case breakers...

Your thoughts on case breakers...
So I was on Blowout the other day and saw a thread about a guy busting 100 cases of Bowman Draft, as I read through the thread it was almost making me sick at how much product he was rolling through. I know a majority of the cases were for case breaks but I can't help but think about what kind of impact these mega breakers can have on the hobby. I personally can't see it being a good thing. One single guy pre orders that much probably has Topps tripping over themselves to just make more and more of a single product potentially pushing us back to the days of gross overproduction like the mid to late 80's. I was gonna buy a couple boxes of Draft but changed my mind after seeing this.

What do you guys think of the growing numbers of breakers out there?
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

RE: Your thoughts on case breakers...
100 cases? That's just a sick amount of cards! It would fill my living room, and the trash it would generate would be a mountain!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I kind of agree some, guys buy tons of cases then sell spots in breaks...which they can more than make back their money given some of these prices for the case break lottery.
But on the other hand its not any different than a large shop ordering a lot of the product they know will sell.

What kills me about it is most of these guys aren't even collectors, it all about money.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

(11-22-2013, 01:47 PM)Ziveus101 Wrote: Personally I don't mind case breakers or group breakers. The more packs, boxes and cases they bust, the higher my chances get for finding some of the cards I want for my PC on eBay (because Lord knows that the cards I want are never in the few boxes that I buy).

Besides, I know for a fact that if/when I find a job where I can get a steady income, I'm going to save up for a case of that year's Bowman Draft. Since breaking a case of BDP&P is one of the things on my bucket list.

I've bought 1 case of any product and that was last years bowman chrome, it wasn't bad but it wasn't quite worth the price of admission....it's fun if you can afford it though

I think case breaks/case breakers are the "NEW THING" in the hobby. They are in a way creating a LCS in their homes and online.
I like the fact that these breaks bring to light more product available online.
I don't like that companies might turn this NEW THING into an over production issue.

If I could turn this HOBBY into a LIVING I would do it in a heartbeat. YOU can maintain your collector status while still keeping and eye on your profits.

Also it helps some of us collectors that are only interested in a certain team or player for some releases instead of buying a HOBBY or JUMBO you can buy the auction lot and that's what you are on the hook for.
Like myself I am not too keen on products like Heritage, Gypsy Queen and Archives but If I can get into a Yankees lot for decent price I would take the chance

(11-22-2013, 01:47 PM)Ziveus101 Wrote: Personally I don't mind case breakers or group breakers. The more packs, boxes and cases they bust, the higher my chances get for finding some of the cards I want for my PC on eBay (because Lord knows that the cards I want are never in the few boxes that I buy).
+ 100000000000000000000000000000000000000 Smile

Especially after my $324 loss of my rule breaking thread .... That solidified me not buying any more boxes....That was my 2nd box in the last 12 years & will be my last...I'll sit back let the Mega breakers do all of the high cost spending, leg work, trash clean up, & searching for the cards I want that they end up selling on ebay anyway Wink
[Image: 0nO6KkN.jpg]
L@@K: "The McCardlane Collection" ... All right here!!!
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rollx8/l...LB%20Cards

I'm tempted to do a case break next year but I did half a case of ginter this year and can't move the base cards.
Is this thing on?

(11-22-2013, 08:38 PM)shivelycore Wrote: I'm tempted to do a case break next year but I did half a case of ginter this year and can't move the base cards.
That's the problem breaking cases by yourself without a predetermined outlet for the base. You WILL get stuck with them. I suggest finding a wholesaler who will buy from you. Keep x amount for your own trading/selling/collection and then just get rid of the rest that though you will take a loss on them, they won't be lying around.

As far as mega case breakers are concerned more power to them. They are really only acting as another distribution channel and ebay/comc/ect. are the new "card" shows. In the "old" days, 3/4 or more of the rarer cards we can bid for and buy now, we would never see or have access to. I've learned my lesson and as I don't have the time nor the inclination for mass rippin, enjoy my humble 2-3 box breaks and pick up cards through trading and buying singles/lots.

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

I'm certainly not going to bust 100 cases but I've begun leaning towards breaking cases rather than boxes. Invariably, I end up buying 3-4 boxes of a product at a premium from my LCS (which in some cases is $40-$60 higher per box) so I decided to pay a little bit more, break a case and be done with it. At least then, I am guaranteed one of the big hits (such as a combo auto relic from triple threads). Eventually, I'll figure out a way to off load them but I'm really collecting for the thrill of the break, not necessarily the profit (although it is always nice to recoup a little of the cost.)