`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: Grade them?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, do both
94.74%
18 94.74%
Only the 1954 Bowman
5.26%
1 5.26%
Only the 1958 Topps
0%
0 0%
No, don't bother
0%
0 0%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To grade, or not to grade?

RE: To grade, or not to grade?
Without a doubt, get them beauties slabbed!!!
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

(11-23-2013, 09:54 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: Yes, the Beckett slab is most definitely archival quality!!
Thanks!
I wasn't sure if they were around long enough to see if they started to cause the cards to acidify over time. ... But if you're definite, I'll take your word that they are archival.

(11-23-2013, 10:00 AM)y2hood Wrote: Without a doubt, get them beauties slabbed!!!
Seems like that's the general consensus!
What grade do you think I could expect?
I'm kinda thinking that the 54 Bowman would come in around a 4-4.5 while the 58 Topps would be a little better at a 5-5.5. Think that's realistic?
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(11-23-2013, 02:53 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Thanks!
I wasn't sure if they were around long enough to see if they started to cause the cards to acidify over time. ... But if you're definite, I'll take your word that they are archival.
I double checked (you do not get a discount for my double check) just to make sure.

This is from the Grading FAQ's:

The BGS holder will feature the following elements:

Each card is protected by a crystal clear archival inner sleeve to prevent the holder itself from damaging the card. Each card will be virtually free of internal movement.
Each card edge can be fully viewed from the side, an industry first.
A label will run partially across the top of the holder. Each label will feature the set name, the grade and a specific id and a bar coded serial number.
Extreme precautions have been taken to prevent counterfeiting of the label and the holder.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I can't stand grading but with that said. I think its only place is for grading condition sensitive sets and vintage. They might not grade well, but its nice to know their true condition grade, that and like other's said BGS cases are pretty sturdy.
If you have less than 20 feedback you're sending first.

(11-21-2013, 07:33 AM)Haze28 Wrote: I would just for the fact that they will be slabbed and preserved. They both look to be in decent shape as well.
Thats the only reason im thinking of doing this offer for some of my older cards...just to get them slabbed. They won't grade high thats for sure

(11-23-2013, 02:53 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Thanks!

Seems like that's the general consensus!
What grade do you think I could expect?
I'm kinda thinking that the 54 Bowman would come in around a 4-4.5 while the 58 Topps would be a little better at a 5-5.5. Think that's realistic?
Hard to say, I am really bad at judging vintage pre-submission.

That' not to say I'm any good at modern cards either though Smile
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

(11-23-2013, 03:04 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: I double checked (you do not get a discount for my double check) just to make sure.
This is from the Grading FAQ's:
The BGS holder will feature the following elements:
Each card is protected by a crystal clear archival inner sleeve to prevent the holder itself from damaging the card. Each card will be virtually free of internal movement.
Each card edge can be fully viewed from the side, an industry first.
A label will run partially across the top of the holder. Each label will feature the set name, the grade and a specific id and a bar coded serial number.
Extreme precautions have been taken to prevent counterfeiting of the label and the holder.
LOL
NO DISCOUNT DOUBLE CHECK?!?! AwwwwwMan? Smile

Thanks, N5K , I appreciate the research and your input ... You've had a lot more grading experience than I've had.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Go BIG or don't go at all Wink get them graded/slabbed for preservation purposes Wink
[Image: 0nO6KkN.jpg]
L@@K: "The McCardlane Collection" ... All right here!!!
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rollx8/l...LB%20Cards

(11-21-2013, 07:33 AM)Haze28 Wrote: I would just for the fact that they will be slabbed and preserved. They both look to be in decent shape as well.
+1. For preservations sake. Don't become one of those graded snobs! LOL, only kidding to all the graded snobs!

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.