`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBA cards 101 help

NBA cards 101 help
So many cards, so many sets. Where to start?

Do people mainly try to collect a set or mainly just their favourite players?

I guess now that only Panini is making them it narrows it down a bit.

RE: NBA cards 101 help
I suppose the answer to questions would come from you and then we can help.

What do you like? Autos? Jersey cards? Rookies?
What do you plan on doing with the cards? Are you buying to resell? Investing? Collecting? Just want nice pieces to look at?
Do you open boxes/packs of cards? If so, do you like the chance to hit something huge or do you simply like opening packs? (this is a legitimate question...when I got back into collecting it was about NOTHING except for opening a multitude of packs...regardless of the product).
Do you have a favorite player? If so, is it of someone who has cards available to be picked up?

The best thing about this hobby is that YOU pick what YOU want, period.

In terms of Panini, you are correct in that they are the sole company making basketball cards with NBA logos since 2010-11. In terms of collections, there are people who collect sets, people who collect players/teams etc etc, and then there are people who collect a little of both.

Set collecting is fun because it is about the chase of the cards in the set.

From a personal standpoint, I do a little of both. I accumulate for sets that I like and I accumulate for players and projects that I have going on.

Anyway, the answers to the questions above would certainly help the folks on this board give you information in terms of the stuff that may interest you. Something you will notice is that collectors are like snow flakes. No two collectors are exactly alike.
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q728...232c31.jpg

I am typically a fast shipper and I ALWAYS use Delivery confirmation. Sometimes I forget to provide the number.

I agree with JMarchand, collecting is a individual preference, what do you like? I collect individual players and only 3 Jordan/Bird/Garnett and one from Racing Kasey Kahne.

I enjoy busting boxes, not as much the new stuff as the old school boxes when I can find them, its nothing better than pulling a nice PC card from a box and also that is where I get some good trade bait from. I love working out trades and trading with the other traders on here, you will find excellent people on here that are very knowledgable about the hobby and they are always ready to answer any question you may have. I also buy high end PC cards when I can find them.

I collect just to collect, I don't collect as an investment or to try to resell.

Welcome to the board and the hobby, let us know what you decide on.

I collect Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Kevin Garnett also certain High End Celtics HOF's.

[Image: jordanbird_edited-1.gif]

I really only collect players and my favorite teams it's whatever you want to do
[Image: 6C3028DA-222D-46AB-98B7-BD7D0829F4B5-819...1b74d5.jpg]

I definitely like opening boxes! For collection only. Right now i'm mainly interested in Steven Adams cards (I'm a Kiwi) and other rookie cards. I've managed to get my hands on a couple Adams cards already so will probably limit myself to that for now.

Once I find a set I like I might branch out. I'm so used to collecting sets which seems a bit one-dimensional so I'm looking forward to this!

Cheers all, all the best

(11-17-2013, 04:41 AM)rikki.owen Wrote: I definitely like opening boxes! For collection only. Right now i'm mainly interested in Steven Adams cards (I'm a Kiwi) and other rookie cards. I've managed to get my hands on a couple Adams cards already so will probably limit myself to that for now.

Once I find a set I like I might branch out. I'm so used to collecting sets which seems a bit one-dimensional so I'm looking forward to this!

Cheers all, all the best
Sounds like you have a good plan! Bust a few boxes for trade bait and then make trades for Steven Adams cards.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q728...232c31.jpg

I am typically a fast shipper and I ALWAYS use Delivery confirmation. Sometimes I forget to provide the number.

My short answer: Certain players from Chicago, as my signature notes. That's what I like, but everyone likes different things, of course. Otherwise, this hobby would not work.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.