`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retro/Old School Baseball Card Question

RE: Retro/Old School Baseball Card Question
I love me some "junk wax"! Whenever I'm low on money (like right now) I buy old wax packs or boxes and build sets, even if I've built them a dozen times before. I put together a sweet (aka ugly) 1986 Topps set from vending boxes this last week. What an awful set! Ugly design, lame pictures, and boring card backs... but I still had a blast!
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

I'm gradually finishing all the sets I started when I was a kid. So 1986-1993ish. I'm trying to keep it to two sets at a time and trading for my needs or buying a box if I'm a long ways off. I never got boxes when I was younger, just packs here and there so I am much closer on some than others. I love junk wax!
2009 New York Yankees Autos Project: 29/52 (56% complete)

[Image: EAiRylN.png]

Sig courtesy jbel4331

(11-17-2013, 03:06 AM)chambles Wrote: I was thinking that's what I may have to do. Would it be possible for beckett.com to open a retro card forum for this purpose? I suppose I could put this in the suggestion box and see what happens.

I was hoping more or less, that there was a full blown website dedicated to the older stuff and/or box breaks galore. I guess I could work on creating one for this purpose if none exists right now.
I wasn't really suggesting you start a site, just start the discussion here ... Already some of your fellow '90 fans have surfaced. If you just start a thread with "90's cards" in the subject, everyone that likes them will join in ... Like they started to do. Have fun here and discuss them and educate those of us who didn't buy them.
DrMitch
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(11-17-2013, 06:29 PM)glassnickels Wrote: I'm gradually finishing all the sets I started when I was a kid. So 1986-1993ish. I'm trying to keep it to two sets at a time and trading for my needs or buying a box if I'm a long ways off. I never got boxes when I was younger, just packs here and there so I am much closer on some than others. I love junk wax!
This has pretty much been my mission for the last year or so as I was a 1987-95 collector for the most part. All of the unobtainable, overly expensive, and out of reach for a 12 year old kid are easy to obtain now.

Had an obsession with some of the super rare sets that got too expensive to buy after key rookies and/or rarity was gauged.

1992 Fleer Update
1988 Score Rookie/Traded
1993 Select Rookie/Traded
1992 Bowman

Was able to pick them up recently for probably 10% of what they were worth in the mid 90's. I honestly don't think I ever saw any of those items at the local card shop as a kid.
(11-17-2013, 10:53 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: I wasn't really suggesting you start a site, just start the discussion here ... Already some of your fellow '90 fans have surfaced. If you just start a thread with "90's cards" in the subject, everyone that likes them will join in ... Like they started to do. Have fun here and discuss them and educate those of us who didn't buy them.
DrMitch
Yeah I understood what you were getting at. I'm just making my own decision based on the lack of a place that has a retro card focus. It would be great to have a place like that for people to go that don't really care about the new stuff. For now, I am sure beckett forums and a few other places provide a good start for some discussion.