`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is eBay dying?
11-15-2013, 11:55 PM
Is eBay dying?
I had an auction on eBay that ended last night after I had already gone to bed. It was a Lou Boudreau autographed 8x10, authenticated by PSA. Guy is in the freakin Hall of Fame and has been deceased since the 90's. Books for $40 last time I checked. I wake up, and found out it sold for $1.29!!! I understand it's not going to sell for full value, but only 3% of it's value????? Is eBay dying or is it just sports collectibles?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2013, 12:04 AM
RE: Is eBay dying?
I really feel it's a combination of ebay wanting to start everything like at 99 cents. Plus I hate to put it like this, but that encourages all the cheap bottom bargain hunters.
11-18-2013, 08:10 AM
You have to be smart about using eBay. The best way to sell is to do buy it now or best offer. You could put that auto out at $30 or best offer, then you may have received a $20 best offer.

You cannot rely on more than two people seeing your item and bidding within 7 days unless it is a hot item. eBay is so flooded with items that your items go unnoticed. I would have bid $2, but unless I am specifically looking for the item, I won't see it.
11-18-2013, 10:52 AM
(11-15-2013 11:55 PM)rheckman00 Wrote:  I had an auction on eBay that ended last night after I had already gone to bed. It was a Lou Boudreau autographed 8x10, authenticated by PSA. Guy is in the freakin Hall of Fame and has been deceased since the 90's. Books for $40 last time I checked. I wake up, and found out it sold for $1.29!!! I understand it's not going to sell for full value, but only 3% of it's value????? Is eBay dying or is it just sports collectibles?

it was how you listed and when you listed,

also, lou bodreau autos dont sell well in general....there is a flooded market out there

(08-06-2014 11:33 AM)jaykayzee Wrote:  Don't confuse "not valuable" with "not collectible".
11-19-2013, 11:29 PM
(11-18-2013 08:10 AM)69mets86 Wrote:  You have to be smart about using eBay. The best way to sell is to do buy it now or best offer. You could put that auto out at $30 or best offer, then you may have received a $20 best offer.

You cannot rely on more than two people seeing your item and bidding within 7 days unless it is a hot item. eBay is so flooded with items that your items go unnoticed. I would have bid $2, but unless I am specifically looking for the item, I won't see it.

Sorry to hear about the item.

I am with 69mets86 on this. I don't bother listing with a low start price unless you know there is demand for it. You can search on eBay to see what a similar or identical item sold for to give you an idea of the demand for it. Buy It Now (BIN) and best offer are the way to go. If you want a specific price, have the best offer reject anything lower than your bare minimum.

Some less reputable sellers will jack up shipping to recover some money on low priced sales.