`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
whats going on with beckett pricing?

RE: whats going on with beckett pricing?
(11-12-2013, 12:48 PM)cardsfan73 Wrote: How is the consumer ignorant for expecting to pay ebay prices? Why should one pay more for a card at a brick and mortar store if the same cards are readily available for a lower price?
Because in a store you can hold the card in your hand and carefully examine it, plus you are getting it instantaneously without paying for shipping. Also, in a store you will have the opportunity to bundle several cards, packs, boxes, supplies together into 1 negotiated price. While on eBay it is rare to see a single seller with all of those things available, and even when they are you still have to be the high bidder on everything (or your bundled price might not be as good as you were hoping); and you then have to pay extra shipping for each item too.
But also keep this in mind, a card shop has to buy cards in order to sell them. When people go to sell their cards they want eBay prices, but when they buy them they also want eBay prices. So if a card shop is going to stay in business they can't buy and sell at eBay prices; something has to give (and usually that means lower buy prices and higher sell prices).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(11-12-2013, 01:08 PM)djohn Wrote: Because in a store you can hold the card in your hand and carefully examine it, plus you are getting it instantaneously without paying for shipping. Also, in a store you will have the opportunity to bundle several cards, packs, boxes, supplies together into 1 negotiated price. While on eBay it is rare to see a single seller with all of those things available, and even when they are you still have to be the high bidder on everything (or your bundled price might not be as good as you were hoping); and you then have to pay extra shipping for each item too.
But also keep this in mind, a card shop has to buy cards in order to sell them. When people go to sell their cards they want eBay prices, but when they buy them they also want eBay prices. So if a card shop is going to stay in business they can't buy and sell at eBay prices; something has to give (and usually that means lower buy prices and higher sell prices).
Exemplary answer!!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I don't see how I proved any point for you.. But ok.

I buy cards from a local card shop, monthly local card show and on ebay. The shop owner and show dealers I deal with price their cards reasonably.. Most of the time I find the same prices there that I do on ebay, sptimes even cheaper. These guys stay busy, sell lots of cards and make money. They get it... They have adapted to deal with the competition that is ebay. Those that don't and insist on over pricing their cards don't. I think it's time to stop crying about the "ignorant consumer" and take a long hard look at the "ignorant dealer/shop owner". I have been involved in the hobby since 1981.. Have seen tons of changes, those that adapt thrive, those who don't die off like the dinosaurs did.

While I agree the uneducated collector might be easily duped on ebay, personally I have never had an issue with an ebay purchase. I have been buying on ebay wince 2000 and have yet to be disappointed with a purchase. But then again I take the time to look for things I want offered by sellers at a fair prices, who put up clear images, charge fair shipping rates and have a good reputation. But what do I know.. I am just an ignorant consumer!

I guess I am another "ignorant consumer". Whether it is beckett pricing or ebay pricing, a card is only worth what the next guy will pay for it. Brick and Mortar retailers will be extinct shortly, if you think you can make a living in this economy with overhead, and without an online presence you are the one that is ignorant. Ebay and online stores are crushing the brick and mortar, just like Amazon is crushing Barns and Noble. I am all in favor of supporting local businesses, however overpaying for convenience is a form of price gouging. If Topps and whomever don't want to see the death of brick and mortar, then they are responsible for keeping them in business. They are the ones that got them to where they are, and have put them in the position they are currently in. If people can find a way to buy milk online cheaper and get it before it is spoiled they would.

Since Beckett is the "authority" on pricing, and the only game in town, how can one complain? If I took my Robinson Cano Collection, (current total value $14,065.43) to New York City, I am betting I could get almost 75% of book or better. If I took it to Kansas City, I could get maybe 20% of book. Therefore the way I personally treat pricing by Beckett is, what the general population would consider the value of the card. As for Ebay, I see it more as supply and demand, how many of you are looking for that one auto or refractor that you need and will grossly over pay for it to complete your collection? Since you paid more for it, your collection value should not increase in value, but maybe in satisfaction. Using completed auctions to justify pricing is plain lazy and irresponsible. I am not the largest fan of Beckett and how things are managed, offered etc.. however, Wal-Mart has a hard time inventorying and pricing 50,000,000 products, and when they miss price this item you all take full advantage. I think beckett has done a bang up job categorizing and pricing 50,000,000 items, with 1 millionth less employees... Now who is ready to sell me their Mike Trout autos for 40 bucks a piece?

Sorry for the long rant.. Always up for trading.. MJ
Looking for Mike Trout, Aaron Judge and Derek Jeter...

(11-12-2013, 01:24 PM)cardsfan73 Wrote: But then again I take the time to look for things I want offered by sellers at a fair prices, who put up clear images, charge fair shipping rates and have a good reputation. But what do I know.. I am just an ignorant consumer!
That is a great point. You look for clear images with fair shipping rates from a buyer with a good reputation. So when people base pricing off eBay should they only base it off those type auctions, or all auctions (which take into account that a card may sell for less because the shipping costs are higher, it has low quality or no pictures, or is sold by a seller with little or poor feedback)? Should pricing be based off the average of all auctions or the average of the better auctions?
I do agree that dealers and shops are adjusting to online competition, and eBay is not the only online competition. The dealers that adapt will continue to prosper, while those that don't will be forced to close shop.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(11-12-2013, 04:28 PM)djohn Wrote: That is a great point. You look for clear images with fair shipping rates from a buyer with a good reputation. So when people base pricing off eBay should they only base it off those type auctions, or all auctions (which take into account that a card may sell for less because the shipping costs are higher, it has low quality or no pictures, or is sold by a seller with little or poor feedback)? Should pricing be based off the average of all auctions or the average of the better auctions?
I do agree that dealers and shops are adjusting to online competition, and eBay is not the only online competition. The dealers that adapt will continue to prosper, while those that don't will be forced to close shop.
Yeah, there are so many factors that go into getting a sale on eBay. Wrong keywords, picture is really bad, or maybe it ended on a Tuesday at 1am. It just seems wrong to me for people to use Beckett's system to trade then question the system. If you don't agree with the system then don't trade. I'm sure there are other sites for you to argue back and forth for days with someone about.

Another thing when trading on here, people only bring up eBay prices when it is in there favor. Have you ever heard someone say "hey I know that card sells on eBay for $100 but BV is only $50 so please pickout another $50 in cards from my collection". I think not!

Now, like other have said there are a few exceptions when it comes to very recently hot or cold cards. I trade on Beckett because it is easy. I don't want to play the this sold for this much one time on eBay game.
LF:  Kyle Tucker, Ryan Mountcastle, Shane Bieber, Alex Bohm, Joe Ryan, & Dale Murphy

Bad traders: almostbaker, beantownsfinest, thespirit33, GRIFFEY MAN 1