`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Got the bug..

Got the bug..
I used to be a heavy collector during my younger years. For me it has always been most exciting opening packs and building sets. I got out of the hobby back in 93 and either sold or gave away everything.

A few months back my young nephew moved to Arizona and while visiting, he showed me the starts of a collection. I got sucked back in. Lots have changed since I left. Crazy high end card...parallels, printing plates, relic, etc.

I still love ripping packs. Started with 2013 Topps mini..something about them I like. In my day, I would spend hours at a shop in upstate NY filling in my sets. I've tried 2 stores in Phoenix with no luck. Seems most of what they have are factory sets, and lots of special cards in cases. How do most set collectors go about filling completing them today?

Thanks in advance

RE: Got the bug..
Trading here for me. The stores around here (just west of Toronto) don't really carry any baseball singles or boxes to hunt through (hockey on the other hand...). I also scan garage sales, kijjiji (Canada's version of Craig's List) and will contact people on that as long as they aren't delusional and think their shoe box of late 80s early 90s box of cards is worth hundreds of dollars. Card shows around here are quite hockey heavy also, however I got back from the Canadian Expo today (huge show in Toronto every six months. From what I gather the proportional size of the National in the states) and was able to really put a dent in some O-Pee-Chee sets today (unfortunately I was rushed for time and can't make it back tomorrow so I really didn't have a chance to really dig). There are also web sites you can scan (here on Beckett's Marketplace, comc among others) that can help you out.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

Man, it is hard to believe anyone would have gotten out of the game in 1993. The industry's best times were from then until about 2000 or so, imo.

Anyway, welcome back!
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

Yeah, my LCS barely carries low-end singles of local market teams, let alone set fillers...

trading in here is a good option. ive used it to complete all the sets ive put together over the past two years since i started collecting again. You can also buy good-sized lots of base cards/specific parallels etc... on for eBay for pretty cheap. It's not quite as fun as piecing it together bit by bit, but if you are a long way off, it's a cost efficient way to knock down a chunk of what you need
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

My LCS (comic book store) really only has boxes and pack except for high end or re-packaged 80 / 90's junk in the 5000+ mega boxes for $10 each. Here is an awesome place to put base sets together, just be aware that some traders here will be looking for auto's / relic's in return (nothing wrong at all with that, they are just looking at trading on BV). There is a set-builders thread at the top of the trading pod, so check that out.

You can also check me for any base needs, esp. 2012 & 2013 mini's...HAVE I GOT A DEAL FOR YOU! LOL...welcome back and enjoy!
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

I trade as well. If you are looking to fill your set needs please feel free to see if I have any of your needs. I myself collect RCs, Prospects, Stars, and HOFers from 1888-current year
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

I get most of my cards at local card shows which happen 5 or 6 times a year here near where I live. I buy up as much low end stuff as I can afford and trade off my dupes here on Beckett.

I got the bug too.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(11-10-2013, 12:51 AM)hempick Wrote: Man, it is hard to believe anyone would have gotten out of the game in 1993. The industry's best times were from then until about 2000 or so, imo.

Anyway, welcome back!
Rub it in Smile..I had 2 daughters who were not interested...and my car hobby..demanded the money...nothing I had would make me rich...but I would like my 70's topps hard correlated sets back..that and my Mattingly's.
I haven't quite got Beckett's Organize figured out. I loaded my Mini's haves and wants..I think. The other set I got hooked on was 2005 Upper Deck MLB Artifacts. Like the look. And growing up in NY...being a Yankeee can.I've bought a few Leaf Pride of the Pinstripes, but they aren't in the catalog so I can't load them.

Thanks for the feedback, once it get this all figured out..I'll be trading.

For me it is hard to continue to hobby but find a way thru mail, there are many sites to buy cards but always love the trade aspect here on beckett.

I trade for most of my needs here. My LCS, doesn't carry much of what I collect, so for me this is the place for my set needs.