`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In honor of Andrew Wiggins' debut tonight ...

In honor of Andrew Wiggins' debut tonight ...
A question for my buddy JMarchand, but basically any Celtics fan or fan of any team that ends up drafting him next year (yeah, that narrows it down, LOL).

Say you're my buddy JMarch, and you've been known to pick up a few boxes here and there, LOL ...

I was looking at the standings the other day and saw that unless something drastically changes, the Celtics are probably going to have as good a chance of anybody of getting Wiggins.

My question is, if the Celtics (or plug your team in here) get him, are you going to go ape s--t on wax next year?

Are you in a small way fearful of this happening, budget wise?

I actually think in a very odd way it would be cool if, like, Utah ended up drafting him — think about it ... other than Stockton and Malone, have the Jazz ever had a draft pick worth collecting/chasing?

Kind of like the Redskins getting RGIII last year — don't recall them ever really having a true hobby star at QB before him.

RE: In honor of Andrew Wiggins' debut tonight ...
Well, if the Jazz get Wiggins, he won't be the first draft pick since Malone/Stockton they've had who was worth collecting. Don't forget, they had kirilenko for a good number of years, they had d-will for a few years and Millsap was a huge suprise.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

(11-08-2013, 07:31 PM)taffster74 Wrote: Well, if the Jazz get Wiggins, he won't be the first draft pick since Malone/Stockton they've had who was worth collecting. Don't forget, they had kirilenko for a good number of years, they had d-will for a few years and Millsap was a huge suprise.
Obviously (well, maybe not, LOL) I didn't mean they haven't ever had any other player worth collecting ... just meant they've never had a Rookie of the Year-type guy who was the top draw in the class (a LeBron, Kyrie, Lillard, etc.), i.e., the big one everyone was chasing.

i was born in lawrence, kansas at the university hospital. huge jayhawks fan. dont get me wrong: wiggins is good. but he might not even be the best freshman on his own team

shoot, jayhawks started 3 freshmen, and had significant minutes off their bench from more freshmen

24 years ago, danny manning came to KU. 24 years before that, wilt chamberlain

(11-08-2013, 11:12 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: i was born in lawrence, kansas at the university hospital. huge jayhawks fan. dont get me wrong: wiggins is good. but he might not even be the best freshman on his own team

shoot, jayhawks started 3 freshmen, and had significant minutes off their bench from more freshmen

24 years ago, danny manning came to KU. 24 years before that, wilt chamberlain
Thank you for the proper usages of "freshman" and "freshmen" ... very re-fresh-ing ... (sorry, couldn't resist).

RJ, if the Celtics get the #1 pick I will more than likely go bonkers on buying singles of Wiggin next year. However, the Celtics have TERRIBLE luck in the lottery, period. Duncan draft.....Oden/Durant draft...Even the Paul Pierce year...We got freaking lucky that this dude fell.

The Celtics never really landed "the man" in any draft since I have been alive. I am 32. Paul Pierce might be the best guy in his draft but people kind of forget about him for some reason. Also, Dirk might be the better all around player. Antoine was good....but that 96-97 draft. Really? KG was the jewel of the 95-96 draft but he isn't/wasn't a real Celtic IMO. OK, so Rondo is probably the best player in the 06-07 draft but that draft is historically weak without a real #1 guy.

I would be more than happy if the Celtics sold out today for a better tomorrow. We have 2 wins right now. If we lost every other game this year I would be OK with that. I am upset because all the moving of people this past offseason and I do not believe that we got ANY 2014 draft picks out of it. Clips? Nope. Nets? Nope. Even if we did, the Clips and Nets aren't going to be in the lottery. This isn't about being a fair weather fan by any stretch. I would just easily sacrifice 37 or so more wins this seasons and an absolute drubbing in the playoffs (presumably we would be the eighth seed and play the Heat?) for the fair chance at a franchise guy that could turn our fortunes around, even if it is for a few seasons until he bolts for a warmer climate.

To answer your question. I am not sure if I will go ape with wax but you better believe I would stock pile autos and base rookies of whatever top pick we might get come then. If it is Wiggin than even better.

In terms of being afraid of it happening budget-wise...you know my deal fiscally. My wife is pretty good with the money spent on the hobby, more so(it seems) when I am buying singles.
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q728...232c31.jpg

I am typically a fast shipper and I ALWAYS use Delivery confirmation. Sometimes I forget to provide the number.

Well Jmarch, you did miss out on Bird, but wasn't McHale a high draft pick for the C's?

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

I missed Mchale too to be honest. I was pretty young during the celtics runs in the 80's and they were just terrible in the 90's. I don't remember Mchale as a player. I pretty much remember him solely for being perhaps the worst GM in the history of GM's

I am typically a fast shipper and I ALWAYS use Delivery confirmation. Sometimes I forget to provide the number.

I agree with everything JMarchand said. I want them to loose every game possible, but if think they are too talented to land the number one. I think teams like Utah and Philly are going to be tough to beat in the march towards worse. I also was jumping up and down loving every second of tonight's game against Miami. I want them to loose, but I can't root against them at the same time. The worst thing that could happen is for them to be stuck in Milwaukee Buck mediocrity.

In terms of collecting I would want to grab a bunch of base rookies and then I would pick four or five releases that I really liked during the year and try to get as much of those parallels, autos and patches as I could. I found this to be a very fun way of collecting Jared Sullinger, and I only really focused on Prizm. A player who could be a true franchise guy would get more attention from me. The tough part would be the price. I find the prices on Kyrie cards simply out of control. I would have a hard time finding the balance.
[Image: lnuVdUL.png]

I could never root against my team. I can root for them to not win, but I couldn't root for substantially bad things to happen to them. Winning 38 games, making the playoffs just to get bounced is just....a wasted year. Big name free agents DO NOT COME TO BOSTON (no really, name the last one that did....KG and Ray were trades) so we need to build through the draft. The only way to do that is to lose 55-58 games this year and be in the running for the top few picks. I agree with Stephen, Green, Bass, Humphries and Wallace (plus Rondo when he comes back) makes this team too talented to lose 65 games.