`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BV vs eBay

RE: BV vs eBay
I usually go by BV, but I also keep in mind that the BV on many cards is out of date and not really accurate, and also HOT players values may not be up to date either. As diablo71 pointed out, there are cards that don't come up for sale very often and when they do they sell for several times BV, while there are also many cards of players that never panned out but their BVs never got lowered. A few months back I pointed out some inconsistencies amongst players where the Bowman and Bowman Chrome rookie cards of the same group of players didn't follow the same order in terms of BV (i.e. players A, B, and C had values of $1, $2, and $5 respectively in Bowman, but in Bowman Chrome the same players were valued at $2, $10, and $2). So sticking strictly with BV can be misleading at times.
However I agree, that traders should be more open about their thoughts on the values of a card if they aren't going to go by BV, so that both sides can come to an agreement on value or can end the trade before much time is wasted.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(11-12-2013, 12:57 PM)djohn Wrote: but I also keep in mind that the BV on many cards is out of date and not really accurate, and also HOT players values may not be up to date either.
+1. It would be nice to rely solely on BV but the bottom line is it's not really that accurate. I think it's clear that Beckett is understaffed and doesn't have the resources to accurately update prices. After many years, I let my baseball subscription run out recently and only bought the OPG by itself.

Blindly following one method or another is foolish IMO. Gather as much information as possible when trying to value something.

Comments that are dismissive of ebay's impact on the hobby are foolish too. Like it or not, it's a force to be reckoned with.
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

Bv isn't relative at all any more. Beckett is so far off on what cards are worth, that it's not even funny. Book value is just that and sell value is just that. But diablo is right on. How many cards do you see sell for huge amounts and book value is nothing to that. More times it's the other way, most $15-25 cards can be delivered on the bay for $3-5.

I agree. BV is a joke. A majority of cards sell for nothing close to BV. You're usually lucky to get maybe 20-25% for them.

For trade purposes I use BV. I usually make adjustments if trade is more low value cards for higher value cards or if one side has an auto or mem card.

(11-12-2013, 11:56 PM)mstrawn Wrote: Bv isn't relative at all any more. Beckett is so far off on what cards are worth, that it's not even funny. Book value is just that and sell value is just that. But diablo is right on. How many cards do you see sell for huge amounts and book value is nothing to that. More times it's the other way, most $15-25 cards can be delivered on the bay for $3-5.
counterpoint: ebay isnt market value

(11-13-2013, 09:23 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: counterpoint: ebay isnt market value
Exactly. As soon as someone says eBay value, I'm gone. Your using a website to trade cards and at the same time discounting the value they put them on. You know my house appraised for this much but it sold for $20,000 less. Same type of thing in my opinion. For every card of mine you show it sells for less on eBay, I can find the same thing of your cards. eBay has too many factors to judge it on that only. Maybe they didn't use the correct keywords. Maybe the auction ended at 1am. Beckett makes it so easy to trade so to confuse their system with another doesn't make sense to me. Of course this is all only my opinion and I doubt anyone cares.
LF:  Kyle Tucker, Ryan Mountcastle, Shane Bieber, Alex Bohm, Joe Ryan, & Dale Murphy

Bad traders: almostbaker, beantownsfinest, thespirit33, GRIFFEY MAN 1

(11-13-2013, 03:56 PM)benner73 Wrote: Of course this is all only my opinion and I doubt anyone cares.
Of course we care!
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(11-13-2013, 09:23 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: counterpoint: ebay isnt market value
I don't think I said ebay. I haven't been to a card show in forever where most cards aren't at least half off "book value" or in the bargain bin. Also can find more than one other website where cards are rarely sold for "book value". Rare cards, hot players or vintage cards are somewhat the exception. If you can find hundreds of people selling a $10 card for $2 doesn't that make it's "value" $2, not $10?

And although I didn't say it, I'll disagree on ebay. A venue where thousands of cards are available for sale in an open auction environment sounds like a market to me.

But like I said, I agree with using book value for trading purposes.

BTW - If you're willing to pay book value for cards then I have a couple hundred thousand available for sale. Maybe you can find something that interests you.

People are aware that BV assigned by Beckett is actually given in a range correct? A low and a high? It's not one exact figure they're giving to each card.

(11-13-2013, 07:25 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: People are aware that BV assigned by Beckett is actually given in a range correct? A low and a high? It's not one exact figure they're giving to each card.
most people forget this
Beckett.Moderator.Floydtown@gmail.com
TOS

[Image: florida-gators.gif]
U.S. Army-Retired
Member since 10-04-1997 (#113)