`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Why I love this hobby

Why I love this hobby
This isn't a dramatic story by any means, but it is just a little taste of why I love this hobby so much.

Yesterday a man that has been involved in the hobby since the 80's stumbled across my photobucket and saw a card that he needed for his 2011 Lineage master set. (His set was seriously impressive. Like every canary /10 auto and relic, 40 1/1 canaries, and 100+ printing plates. If he was a board member I would demand scans!) He shot me a quick email saying that he was dying to get a hold of a printing plate that was part of my PC and that he would give me 2 Victorino plate in exchange for my one. We went back and forth a bit over email because I was hesitant to give up the Lineage plate as I am 1 card away from a complete rainbow. Eventually he gave me his number and told me to call him to discuss. After work while driving home I thought "what the heck, why not" and gave him a call. Well, what started as a quick business call about a possible trade turned into a 90 minute conversation about the hobby. He talked about his master sets, I talked about my PC and it was a great time. In the end it turned into him shipping me the 2 plates without questioning my trustworthiness and me promising to send his side of the trade as well.

I just though it was really cool that a man in his 40's from Kansas and a man in his 20's from New Jersey that were total strangers could pick up the phone and have an instant bond over pieces of cardboard and have a willingness to help each other out just because we love the hobby and the people involved.

RE: Why I love this hobby
That is cool. I have had a couple of conversations lately myself with people who are in the hobby. Both times they commented on my "nice hat". I was wearing an Upper Deck hat. One guy was in line at the post office and said he used to sell a lot of cards on eBay. The other was the teller at the bank where I was making my final truck payment. He said he and his brother were starting up (actually taking over) a LCS (which they did).
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Oh, how cool!! Thanks for sharing!!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Love hearing stories like yours. Makes me hopeful that the hobby isn't doomed.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

This type of exchange is why I miss setting up at card shows like during the early 90's. The interaction between the seller/buyer is totally lost in an ebay transaction.
[Image: 1969WorldSeriesTicket.jpg]
I collect 1969 Mets memorabilia and 1960 Topps baseball, nothing else.
My 1969 Mets PC Bucket:
http://s214.photobucket.com/user/d3a3l3e3/library/1969%20NY%20Mets%20PC?sort=6&page=1

(11-07-2013, 04:45 PM)1969metsfan Wrote: This type of exchange is why I miss setting up at card shows like during the early 90's. The interaction between the seller/buyer is totally lost in an ebay transaction.
Not only do I agree with this statement- I loved the story involved. I love meeting people involved in the hobby and talking about our collections. That's one of my favorite aspects of this hobby, and what makes it keep living in my opinion
My Website: thepointguard.weebly.com
Also Collecting: Five Star Autos, '50s Topps Sets
Current Top Wants: '15 Chipper Jones & Other Five Star Autos
[Image: PGBanner_zps899b0bff.jpg]

Whatever the product is like from year to year, as long as we have a community as great as this the hobby will never die!

Yes, Great Story & an experience Smile
[Image: 0nO6KkN.jpg]
L@@K: "The McCardlane Collection" ... All right here!!!
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rollx8/l...LB%20Cards

Great story, thanks for sharing!
[Image: ueT15.png]

A big THANKS to jbel4331 for the awesome banner!

Awesome! Thanks for posting that story
[Image: bZcet.png]
(Banner by jbel4331)
Adam Dunn Super Collector.