`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wanting to start a vintage collection (have some questions)

wanting to start a vintage collection (have some questions)
I was wondering if where the best place to start if I wanted to start collecting vintage cards. I'd like start by either a set together of either 66,67,68,69 Topps. Would ebay be the best place?

RE: wanting to start a vintage collection (have some questions)
(11-04-2013, 11:13 AM)akellington Wrote: I was wondering if where the best place to start if I wanted to start collecting vintage cards. I'd like start by either a set together of either 66,67,68,69 Topps. Would ebay be the best place?
What would be your main goal? I ask this because you need not put together an entire set at first as it may be cost prohibitive, but you could start with your favorite player(s) or team(s). There are many ways of collecting vintage other than set collecting.

For example:
I collected T206 Pittsburgh Pirates even though I am not a fan: striped rainbow sleeves (6 cards) because I liked the colors. The players were not as famous as Honus but it was fun to do and they were colorful cards. I don't have scans, but I think you get the idea.

eBay is a great start. I did my 75 topps set that way. Large lots cover ground very quickly. Good luck
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

I started working on my Pirates vintage sets not that long ago and have made allot of progress by picking up any vintage I could when the opportunity presented itself. Not just Pirates, but any at all. I traded for most of the vintage I have and found out early on that most traders only trade vintage for vintage. So if you can pick up anything at all, at least you have something comparable to trade for your PC. I normally don't part with any of my Pirates, but do have a few doubles that I would be willing to trade you since I know you are a Bucs fan as well. Good luck getting started and give me a shout if you're interested in those doubles.
Collecting Steelers, Pirates and Penguins

Thanks guys for the info. I'm thinking of trying to put together a 68 topps set, and also 78 topps. Johnny, I'll hit you up sometime. Thanks Rinzler, appreciate the input.
 photo coolsignature_zps2fe4f593.jpg

The 78 may be easier to pick up for under 100.00 from the bay
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

Regardless of where you try, the 1966 and 1967 sets are hard to complete, especially on EBay. Many people say to just save up the money and buy the set straight up as its easier to complete that way and in some cases as cheap.
The high number Single Prints in ExNM to NM/Mt can fetch up to $80 per card at times for commons. Likewise you sometimes can find them for under $15.

As well, 1968 is easy enough to complete on EBay. There are from time to time lots offered which contain high numbers which aren't that much higher than the common cards.
I did both a 68 and 69 set on EBay.
The problem on the 68 and 69 isn't completing the sets, its upgrading them.

First thing you should look at is the premium/stars. Any HOF rookies etc. The mid -60's is great given that there are no excessively high rookies. Next determine the condition you want. I have put most of the 56 set together in NM, but some stars have slightly soft corners/edges, but are centered - centering is what I want. Once you figure out the condition criteria just be patient, look for lots for sale and set up your org for trade, the lots will net you some doubles (triples) but they keep the cost per card lower and give you the ability to keep the best one and try to trade/sell others.
For me it is the hunt, the 56 set is in its 5th year of build. Also builing 1957 ( I seem to be one of the few who like this set) and 1964.

Thanks guys for the help. I think i'm going to go with the 1968 Topps, considering my favorite card is in it, the Ryan RC.
 photo coolsignature_zps2fe4f593.jpg

Should be easy enough to complete.
If you are looking for some cards, I should have some from that year to trade.
They aren't listed yet, but I'll get them up soon.