`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you like to see return to baseball cards

RE: What would you like to see return to baseball cards
For me it would have to be Pacific. In my opinion some of the best inserts of its time especially the die-cuts.
Collecting Phillies base cards from 1950-present
Collecting all catcher prospect and rookie cards

As noted above, competition is sorely missing. Topps is not what it used to be.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I to would like to see more competition but we are stuck with Topps and their exclusive until 2020 now. Panini does OK, but do not like the look b/c of the no logos etc.
Bring back the cheaper packs and the bigger sets. Even to this day I like to put the bigger sets together and miss those days.
You could put together a 700 card set without going broke.

(11-01-2013, 11:37 AM)mjmj1966 Wrote: For me it would have to be Pacific. In my opinion some of the best inserts of its time especially the die-cuts.
Exactly what I was thinking when I made my previous post! But other brands/sets made cards that were just as spectacular too. 1996 SPx base cards were die-cut, looked awesome, and had parallels! Collectors Edge made some really excellent die-cut insert cards too.
The garbage of the late 80's and early 90's really lead to some great products in the late 90's. The main reason was the immense and intense competition b/t the card companies.
Donruss made some really nice sets in the mid-2000's, but it was after they lost the MLB rights. Without the MLB logos, I lost interest in the cards they made.
This is why I have yet to mention Panini. I think that their baseball products actually look much better and more mature than their NFL counterparts. Panini's NFL sets were so childish-looking that it helped them and Topps force me out of buying new NFL products! A one-two punch of garbage, no thanks.

Panini can actually help force MLB to re-think the exclusive contract with Topps. MLB can exterminate (or minimize) the contract if they can prove that Topps is actually causing a loss of profit. I am pretty sure that the MLB (or at least the MLBPA) has an out-route to somehow get out of the contract with Topps.

If they don't, the MLB card collecting hobby is completely doomed until a few years after the end of the 2020 Topps contract.

I loved 90s inserts!!! Fleer, fleer ultra, pacific, pinnacle!! they all had awesome inserts!!! Not too many autographs and game used back then, i think it was way better, but i guess like everything, things evolve and we have what is going on now, a gazillios autos and game used cards which are impossible to keep track of!! I remember the first 3 upper deck 96?97? tony gwynn, griffey i think and rey ordonez wonder why they chose him? lol

[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

It would be nice to see fewer card releases so people would chase older cards and an increase in value would be nice....