`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collection Depression (?)

RE: Collection Depression (?)
If you ever want to break the collector doldrums and feel better about yourself and your hobby, you need to go out and plant some seeds! That's what I try to do at least a few times a year for each of my favorite hobbies. Donate some cards! Find some kids (friends of your kids or kids of your friends) and give them a stack and watch their eyes light up in wonder. I give out cards & comics to my patients' kids all the time. They are either excited, amazed or confused, but no matter the reaction, they're being introduced to a hobby, and if 1 or 2 of these seeds flourish, then the hobby won't die. Watch the reaction and enjoy the responses you get from this simple act.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: Collection Depression (?)
(10-27-2013, 06:56 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: If you ever want to break the collector doldrums and feel better about yourself and your hobby, you need to go out and plant some seeds! That's what I try to do at least a few times a year for each of my favorite hobbies. Donate some cards! Find some kids (friends of your kids or kids of your friends) and give them a stack and watch their eyes light up in wonder. I give out cards & comics to my patients' kids all the time. They are either excited, amazed or confused, but no matter the reaction, they're being introduced to a hobby, and if 1 or 2 of these seeds flourish, then the hobby won't die. Watch the reaction and enjoy the responses you get from this simple act.
This statement is so true. I am moving out, so I started giving some cards away. The reaction is priceless and very grateful. It is the way to go for veteran collectors. I do get players to sign multiple cards in winter league in Puerto Rico and then give some of the cards to kids at the stadium.