`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this Patrick Kane's real rookie card?
Wink 
Is this Patrick Kane's real rookie card?
So I'm in the process of getting rid of my huge lot of 90s base cards I don't need. I put them in team bags and we give them out at Halloween. The kids really love it and I free up some space. I throw in some newer cards so at least they'll get some players they know. Anyhow I was going through the cards and came across this card:

[Image: 9495pinnacle_turgeon_zps0e5c5f25.png]
1994-95 Pinnacle #288 Sylvain Turgeon.

Looks like your ordinary 90s common but it books for $20. I did a double take. I thought it must be a mistake so I double checked and it's correct. Why? See that kid in the stands?

That's Patrick Kane.

Apologies if this was common knowledge but I thought that was pretty awesome so I decided to share it. It's like putting on an old jacket and finding a $20 bill in the pocket.

I've never seen anything like it: a ridiculously common card wildly appreciating in value due to who else is in the picture. I vaguely remember reading an article in Beckett where a reader thought a Caps Young Gun from 05/06 Upper Deck should be worth more because Ovechkin was in the picture and Beckett essentially said no. Apparently they make an exception for young future stars.

I dunno but I'm holding on to this one. :p
[Image: 0809bdall_sm.jpg]
Looking for: Patrick Roy, 80s OPC, 72/73 OPC
Photobucket
GO HABS!

RE: Is this Patrick Kane's real rookie card?
I remember reading the story when it first ran. I don't remember though.....how is it known, that, that is Patrick Kane?

I'm just going by what Beckett says:
http://www.beckett.com/hockey/1994-95/pi...ne-1345199
[Image: 0809bdall_sm.jpg]
Looking for: Patrick Roy, 80s OPC, 72/73 OPC
Photobucket
GO HABS!

I've heard the same thing.. but, it's such a weird reason to have a card be valuable
[Image: finlandbanner.jpg]
Bucket - http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/phildonu37/ (I don't update my bucket when stuff is gone)

Yup, I have this set and was surprised at the value of this "Kane rc". It doubles the set's value. So why doesn't Ovi get the same recognition?

i heard kane say in an interview that he is the kid on the card

Yeah, I remember an article ran in The Buffalo News about that pic being him with his father.

It also mentioned that when they were building the now First Niagara Center, Kane, his dad and some other local hockey kids were invited on the construction site, and they all got to sign a girder being put up in the roof (I think it was the roof)!! So somewhere in the FNA is Pat Kane's AUTOGRAPH!!

I found an ESPN article saying his signature is next to Seymour Knox's on the beam!! Makes me want to do a little exploration on that place. Maybe with a cutting tool. I wonder if anyone knows here the beam ended up??
''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

The research into something like this is pretty cool.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

A Patrick Kane 1/1 cut auto girder card. Now that would be cool! (ha)

It also mentioned that when they were building the now First Niagara Center, Kane, his dad and some other local hockey kids were invited on the construction site, and they all got to sign a girder being put up in the roof (I think it was the roof)!! So somewhere in the FNA is Pat Kane's AUTOGRAPH!!