`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Bizarre Phenomenon

A Bizarre Phenomenon
OK, as many of you know, I PC Mitch Richmond. Suffice it to say that, unlike the seemingly endless onslaught of nice MJs I would like to add to my collection, nice Mitches that I need (and I'm defining "nice" as anything $20+ here) do not pop up at the usual outlets (COMC, the 'bay, etc.) all that often.

HOWEVER...when they DO pop up they come in DROVES. I actually won 3 Mitches in the span of about 80 hours a few weeks ago and am waiting for the last one to come in from overseas before I scan them to add to my Mitch PC thread. Total bv? $260. That is REALLY hard to do with just 3 Mitch Richmond Cards!

In the 2.5 weeks since, however, I have seen a grand total of 2 cards pop up that fit that criteria ($20+ and a PC need). So why is this? Why do they come in droves (thankfully this one came when I had made some sales and had about $200 in paypal built up) or not at all? They usually come in bunches when I have no cash and I can only realistically target one and pray the others fall through the cracks and I get them super cheap.

Just seems odd to me that it's very feast or famine with Mitch cards a lot of the time. Anybody else ever feel like this??
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

RE: A Bizarre Phenomenon
Have you checked past sales? With someone like Mitch, it would seem that if 1-2 nicer cards sold on Ebay that people would think others are looking. So they would list their nicer cards and hopefully make some money.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

maybe people unloading their collections and it produces multiple cards?
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

(10-22-2013, 10:10 AM)pingbling23 Wrote: maybe people unloading their collections and it produces multiple cards?

That did happen once. A guy unloaded close to 20 really high-end early Mitches (gold embossed refractor /74, second-year credentials, etc. etc.) but there haven't been multiple items from one seller other than that one time.

@nickm that could be I guess. I generally just list stuff to sell when I have it to sell regardless of whether I think people are looking or not. Then again, at least half the time I'm selling MJs so I don't really have to worry about demand haha.
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

(10-22-2013, 10:42 AM)buckunteer Wrote: @nickm that could be I guess. I generally just list stuff to sell when I have it to sell regardless of whether I think people are looking or not. Then again, at least half the time I'm selling MJs so I don't really have to worry about demand haha.
Yeah, the reason I mentioned this is because I do this when I sell cards. Besides MJ I look at completed sales to see if I should even sell the card. For example I have some Lesean McCoy cards. Over the summer his autos were selling for under $10. Most of the autos I have cost me around $15 or so, so I did not sell them. I looked again recently because of how he is playing and the sales had gone up so I listed a few. Now I know this isnt exactly the same, but I also do that with players/cards that are not as popular as say MJ. If I am basically going to be giving the card away, I do not list it. If recent sales show no interest and most cards are selling for $1-2 dollars I do not list. Does this make sense?

[Image: Nick.jpg]

(10-22-2013, 11:29 AM)nickm1123 Wrote: Yeah, the reason I mentioned this is because I do this when I sell cards. Besides MJ I look at completed sales to see if I should even sell the card. For example I have some Lesean McCoy cards. Over the summer his autos were selling for under $10. Most of the autos I have cost me around $15 or so, so I did not sell them. I looked again recently because of how he is playing and the sales had gone up so I listed a few. Now I know this isnt exactly the same, but I also do that with players/cards that are not as popular as say MJ. If I am basically going to be giving the card away, I do not list it. If recent sales show no interest and most cards are selling for $1-2 dollars I do not list. Does this make sense?
I tend to do the same thing, so that could definitely be part of it.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Since multiple people say they're doing that I guess it's a distinct possibility now! I just feel like, with Mitch at least, it's not necessary because there are always people bidding. Very rarely does a higher-end Mitch like that fall through the cracks. Oh well, I appreciate the input on the semi-rhetorical question!