`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for opinions: 2013 Topps Update Hobby vs. Jumbo

Looking for opinions: 2013 Topps Update Hobby vs. Jumbo
I'm looking for the opinions from some folks here who have gotten 2013 Topps Series 1 and/or Series 2 hobby and jumbo boxes. I'm thinking about buying a box of 2013 Topps Update to finish off a couple of the team master sets I am working on. Should I get a jumbo box for just under $90, or should I go with a hobby box for just under $50?

I know there are three relics/autos/memorabilia in the Jumbo versus only one such card in the hobby box. But I am asking also regarding the inserts and parallels. Will I get more of these per dollar in the jumbo or the hobby box? And if I was to consider getting two hobby boxes for about ten bucks more than one jumbo, is that better? Again, I know I would have two gu/auto/relics that way versus three in the jumbo, but I am trying to get a bunch of inserts/parallels (hopefully of the teams I need, but more likely as helpful/easy trade stuff). I'd like to avoid spending $100, but I would like to put a big dent in the sets I am trying to put together.

Thanks for your help and opinions!

RE: Looking for opinions: 2013 Topps Update Hobby vs. Jumbo
Every time I have bought a jumbo box, I come away with a full set of base. You can sort of guess at what you'll be getting insert wise as well. You usually will get around 6 inserts per pack, aside from packs where you have a nice thick hit. That nets you around 60 inserts per jumbo box. The hobby boxes, while cheaper will net a bit less, and you will most likely not put a full base set together. Personally, I much prefer the jumbo boxes!

(10-14-2013, 08:40 PM)Ellimist Wrote: Every time I have bought a jumbo box, I come away with a full set of base. You can sort of guess at what you'll be getting insert wise as well. You usually will get around 6 inserts per pack, aside from packs where you have a nice thick hit. That nets you around 60 inserts per jumbo box. The hobby boxes, while cheaper will net a bit less, and you will most likely not put a full base set together. Personally, I much prefer the jumbo boxes!
+1! And with the jumbo, you get an auto AND 2 relics per box.
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

I use to get hobby boxes but I stick strictly to Jumbo's. Cost per card works out to exactly the same where I get mine but I like the auto. Can get lucky with auto's in hobby boxes but I'd rather have the sure hit. Actually, my best /big hits have all been out of retail packs or hangers (not blasters) so who the heck knows....let the rippen begin! (good luck whichever way you go!)

To answer your question regarding set building with Hobby Boxes....collation is terrible at times and if you don't get the boxes from the same case, you could end up with matching boxes (well they seem to be matches with all the dups....yes it's happened to me more than once).
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

If it means anything to you ... I just ordered 2 jumbos! Always happy with a jumbo break.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

If a Jumbo box is available usually best to grab that. Usually full base set plus more inserts as well as the extra hits. Love picking up the blaster boxes as usually the Man. Patch usually covers most of cost.

I do best off 1 Jumbo & then get all the Rack Packs I can find, maybe 15 Walmart & 15 Target. The amount of inserts/auto/parallels is incredible & as someone mentioned..... The Jumbo Box yields at least a set plus the guaranteed 3 Hits. I lucked out & got a Topps Chrome Hot Box. I am in refractor heaven!!!! I will also do Bowman Draft the same way. I generally stay away from regular Hobby Boxes like the plague.... lol & enjoy!!

Jumbos are the way to go for sets, inserts and relics/autos
[Image: arod.gif]

I say always go for the jumbo
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm firmly on the fence on this one, after looking into it a bit more. I'll post the break once I get whatever I end up deciding to get.