`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A 1980s Piece of an NHL Great: Hugh Might Like This One ;)

A 1980s Piece of an NHL Great: Hugh Might Like This One ;)
Hello everyone, and welcome back to my museum show!

Today’s addition is a very special one indeed, an oldie, but a goodie.

The jersey shown today is a 1987-88 Pittsburgh Penguins Road jersey, worn by Gilles Meloche in his final season, and in his final two NHL games among others. Based on the era, there was only one jersey set for home and away, so at most, this jersey was used in 11 of Meloche’s 27 games that year, literally being bombarded by shot after shot from many teams, including the Oilers dream team.

If someone has to ask who Gilles Meloche is, I’m sorry to say that he is one of the legends of the game. He appeared in 788 games for the Chicago Blackhawks, California Golden Seals, California Seals, Cleveland Barons, Minnesota North Stars, and Pittsburgh Penguins between 1970-1988 recording a 270-351-131 record to go along with a 3.64 GAA, 20 shutouts, and a 0.875% save average. With his career record, and at the time of this write-up, Meloche is the league’s 39th all-time winningest goalie, as well as the league’s 4th all-time losingest one. Furthermore, after retiring from playing, he became the goalie coach for the Penguins, being a key part of their 1991, 1992, and 2009 Stanley Cup victories.

Now you may rest your mind as I am finished talking, and you may enjoy the pictures set before you.

Front:

[Image: melochefront2_zpsb7099ad0.jpg]

Front-crest (notice some nice marking on it):

[Image: melochefrontcrest_zpsa30754fb.jpg]

Front right-sleeve (nice unrepaired hole):

[Image: melochefrontrightlseeve_zps36ac7488.jpg]

Neck (notice the great piling caused by Meloche’s mask):

[Image: melochefrontneckpiling_zps5004eadb.jpg]

Front-left sleeve:

[Image: melochefrontleftsleeve_zpse855f312.jpg]

Fight strap (notice the rust and the salting in the strap buttons):

[Image: melochefightstrap_zpsd1519c1e.jpg]

Back:

[Image: melocheback2_zps373dee15.jpg]

Back-left sleeve:

[Image: melochebackleftsleeve_zpseb0ed0e3.jpg]

Back-right sleeve (good puck marks and piling at the end of the sleeve):

[Image: melolchebackrightsleeve_zps788c3f8a.jpg]

RE: A 1980s Piece of an NHL Great: Hugh Might Like This One ;)
Wow, just wow !!!! Super addition to your ever growing goalie GU collection. Meloche was the one of the first goalies I payed attention to as I just started rooting for the Pens while he was playing. Congrats!!!

So when are you going to open that museum? I would love to check it out someday.
Collecting:
Current Penguins / Sidney Crosby / Penguins RCs

[Image: 39d17c38-0760-4e5f-8be4-b6c654d92bea_zpsjsqahbfv.jpg]
The mountains are calling and I MUST GO!!!!

As always another great addition and great story! Thanks for sharing!
Go Avs Go!

(10-11-2013, 02:00 PM)pens1fan Wrote: Wow, just wow !!!! Super addition to your ever growing goalie GU collection. Meloche was the one of the first goalies I payed attention to as I just started rooting for the Pens while he was playing. Congrats!!!

So when are you going to open that museum? I would love to check it out someday.
Thanks for the comment. I've been looking at a few Meloche pieces for a while, but this is the one that popped to me. Great price, great piece, great wear, final season. Glad I sold a bunch of cards to boost my PayPal, it still cost a lot compared to anything I have ever purchased thus far.

Museum is the long-term goal. I'm all about acquiring the memorabilia first, and not being a millionaire myself, and with only specific types of memorabilia interests, it may take time. Having said that, I am thinking about setting up at something like a Summit Show to get the word out when I hit the 75+ piece range.

(10-11-2013, 03:23 PM)irbefan4life Wrote: Thanks for the comment. I've been looking at a few Meloche pieces for a while, but this is the one that popped to me. Great price, great piece, great wear, final season. Glad I sold a bunch of cards to boost my PayPal, it still cost a lot compared to anything I have ever purchased thus far.

Museum is the long-term goal. I'm all about acquiring the memorabilia first, and not being a millionaire myself, and with only specific types of memorabilia interests, it may take time. Having said that, I am thinking about setting up at something like a Summit Show to get the word out when I hit the 75+ piece range.
There are lots of Expo's that are specific to game worn stuff. There are shows in; Northern VA, SoCal, MN, MI-OH, NJ (MeiGray)... the HHOF is almost always at the MeiGray one
[Image: finlandbanner.jpg]
Bucket - http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/phildonu37/ (I don't update my bucket when stuff is gone)

Very nice......now we have to discuss how to get that from your collection and into mine........

and I am serious!!!!!!!

Hugh

PS.....Remember who helped you out with those TWO sticks you wanted sooo bad!!!

Joe Vitale PC- 104/125= 83% 0 - INCOMING

TRADERS: http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u317/...5/TRADERS/

GAME WORN SITE: http://www.theigloolockerroom.com/

[Image: hughbanner001.png]

loving the Meloche I am glad you got the jersey but I am surprise my buddy didn't go after it as well. Congrats Bruce!
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

(10-12-2013, 12:23 PM)bonnev659 Wrote: loving the Meloche I am glad you got the jersey but I am surprise my buddy didn't go after it as well. Congrats Bruce!
I have many a source in the hobby where the sales are not public forum. Helps to avoid the competition...as does the price tag.
(10-12-2013, 12:03 AM)pens fan addict Wrote: Very nice......now we have to discuss how to get that from your collection and into mine........

and I am serious!!!!!!!

Hugh

PS.....Remember who helped you out with those TWO sticks you wanted sooo bad!!!
I see what you're doing there funny guy. I spoke with the jersey this morning and it told me that it wants to stay with me because I am so awesome and cool...no joke Smile

The Fitzpatrick and Beezer sticks also agreed with the jersey. You can't argue with what they want...

Congrats on the addition to your collection.

(10-11-2013, 10:11 PM)phildo37 Wrote: There are lots of Expo's that are specific to game worn stuff. There are shows in; Northern VA, SoCal, MN, MI-OH, NJ (MeiGray)... the HHOF is almost always at the MeiGray one
Sorry for the thread highjack, but I just had to do a search on the Northern VA expo. Looked liked there was a pretty big volume of jerseys at the last one. Any idea when the next one will be? I am within driving distance of the DC area and think I would like to check it out in person if possible.
Collecting Brett Hull
[Image: 2013-14%20Prime%20Colors%20Patch%201992%...esized.jpg]

(10-12-2013, 12:26 PM)irbefan4life Wrote: I have many a source in the hobby where the sales are not public forum. Helps to avoid the competition...as does the price tag.

I see what you're doing there funny guy. I spoke with the jersey this morning and it told me that it wants to stay with me because I am so awesome and cool...no joke Smile

The Fitzpatrick and Beezer sticks also agreed with the jersey. You can't argue with what they want...
Hmmmmm....I still have your addy around here somewhere......You know......accidents happen...and when jerseys burn...just ashes are left and you wont be able to tell which one (i.e. poss lets say.....ummmm....Meloche Penguins) is missing....

just saying.....NOT THAT I WOULD EVR DO THAT!

But stranger things have happened!

But seriously....I wouldn't listen to either Beezer or fitzy....and Meloche is so old he has alzheimers and cant think clearly!

We all know...that that Meloche should be in my collection!!! Smile

Does your "contacts" have any other Pens???

Joe Vitale PC- 104/125= 83% 0 - INCOMING

TRADERS: http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u317/...5/TRADERS/

GAME WORN SITE: http://www.theigloolockerroom.com/

[Image: hughbanner001.png]