`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Graded Wall Display -- My Attempt

RE: Graded Wall Display -- My Attempt
Ok, I'm going to bump my own thread. I have finished "Mark II" of my wall display. The first I liked, but I didn't like how it didn't have a UV Acrylic faceplate.

Enter "Mark II".

All I really did in essence to the original design was turn the 1x2 outer frame pieces up on the 1" side instead of layed down on the wider 2" side. This gave it some depth, needed for the acrylic front. Routered a 1/8" groove around the inner perimeter, and voila! I took the 1/8 groove all the way through the top so the acrylic panel simply slides directly down and given the height I hang it at unless you're 7' tall you can't see the top with the open groove.

[Image: IMAG1196_zps77ab9a86.jpg]

[Image: IMAG1197_zps26568516.jpg]

Test fit:

[Image: IMAG1205_zpsc35f293d.jpg]

Finished!

[Image: IMAG1206_zps95f5d5e4.jpg]

[Image: IMAG1208_zps3efa3bed.jpg]

And loaded up with the "good" ones. Bostonmike77, I have a little over 100 more #22 9.5's to get up on the wall now.

[Image: IMAG1209_zps1007aa08.jpg]

[Image: IMAG1211_zps1767dd8b.jpg]

I'm planning on going 2' x 4' in size on the next one using the same basic principles I used on this one. That should house 56 graded cards. My only drawback thought is that a 4'x8' piece of .118 acrylic is awfully large to be sliding into place. More to come.

And if anyone is curious, like last time, I used a hand miter box. Only change was I used a hacksaw and a new blade and got a FAR better cut than the cheap wood saw that came with the box.

Very nice!
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

+100000000

Very nice! When my dad gifted me a graded card shelf that he built himself, I thought it was going to have at least plexiglass over it on a door, but he did not even construct a door on it. But it's the thought that counts.

You did a wonderful job!
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

Going big now. Have assembled and am currently staining a 2' by 4' unit. Will hold 56 cards this time. It's coming out ok, but I've GOT to get a real miter saw, lol. Same construction as the last one I did above. Pics to come.

Almost time to go professional lol I'll take 2! hahaha
Manning PC

(11-24-2013, 06:36 AM)branesergen Wrote: Almost time to go professional lol I'll take 2! hahaha
That thought has actually seriously crossed my mind. I need to get better with my staining technique though, and actually get a miter saw to ensure repeatable straight corners. The downside is that the time involved, materials, and most expensive part being the acrylic for the "glass" portion, the cost of a 2'x2' one that will hold 28 cards won't be very competitive with what's available currently. I haven't seen a Pennzoni case or any other up close to compare quality, so I can't even start to make a claim there.

I will say that I messed up on my big one. I got in a rush and completely forgot to router a groove for the cards to sit in along the bottom edge of the outer frame, so I ended up cutting a strip and gluing it in to the frame, which cut down my inner dimensions some. Then since I was cutting oak, a lot more force was necessary and it ended up skewing my hand cut miter corners, and I ended up with about a 1/4 inch narrowing vertically along the span. If you're looking for it you'll see it unfortunately. Hence....NEED a miter saw, lol.

Done went big.

[Image: IMAG1243_zpsfea10587.jpg]

No plexiglass yet though.....broke. lol

Man that is sweet!!
Manning PC

Thanks man! Getting ready to start another 2x4 one set up vertically this time.

*Edit* SMH....I apparently have two accounts here, just noticed this was posted from a different one than the original.