`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Graded Wall Display -- My Attempt

Graded Wall Display -- My Attempt
After a LONG time of living with my collection stacked out of sight, I'm finally getting what I want. I've looked at pretty much every graded card display case that's out there, and while some are very nice (and VERY expensive), I just never felt like plunking down the cash. I'm a DIY'er, and find it very gratifying when you do something on your own. Now mind you, I'm NOT a wood worker, and this is my first attempt at anything that can be displayed and not seen as a hack job. What do you guys think?

[Image: IMAG1137_zpse431b081.jpg]

[Image: IMAG1138_zps6db6c568.jpg]

Now it's not 100% finished yet. I am intent on making a front with a piece of UV protective acrylic to finish it off.

The most sophisticated tool I used for this was a cheap $100 router/table combo from Lowes. The miter joints were cut with a hand saw miter box, and I used a palm sander for most of the heavy sanding. I had some faux suede laying around that I decided to use on the back board to give it a really finished appeal.

Anywho, just thought I'd show off my results and get takes on things to improve on, or thoughts, or whatever.

RE: Graded Wall Display -- My Attempt
That is very nice! Cant believe you used a hand miter for the corners. I used one for straight cuts for my storage drawer and it was a pain lol
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

(10-11-2013, 01:18 AM)branesergen Wrote: That is very nice! Cant believe you used a hand miter for the corners. I used one for straight cuts for my storage drawer and it was a pain lol
It wasn't easy, and I had to do some sanding to get them plausibly close, but some wood filler and judicious use of stain made them seal up nicely. Oh, and the picture frame clamp works WONDERS to tighten things up:

[Image: IMAG1124_zpsa72a086c.jpg]

That thing was the saving grace because it clamped the ENTIRE outer frame, squared it up, and kept a ton of pressure on the corners while the glue dried.

That's a great looking piece. Well done!
Album: Album

1997 Donruss Preferred Precious Metals
1997 Topps Gallery Gallery of Heroes

Ohhhh the clamp! I would have never known or thought about that lol
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

Looking very nice!!
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

Nice work! I'd love to try that someday and your success is very inspiring.

(10-11-2013, 06:13 PM)branesergen Wrote: Ohhhh the clamp! I would have never known or thought about that lol
I didn't know about it until about 6 days ago, and found it at the local hardware store. I simply thought "Genius!" and boy does it work.

looks great!

Immpressive built unit and #22 card collection