`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Graded Wall Display -- My Attempt

RE: Graded Wall Display -- My Attempt
Blah, one too many coats of stain made it darker than I really like, but ...... Ta Daa!

[Image: DSC_9921.jpg]

[Image: DSC_9929.jpg]

[Image: DSC_9930.jpg]

Next up, a twin row. Going to break out the Auto and Jersey cards into it's own case. Only have 6 of those (4 auto/jsy, two jersey cards) so gives me room to grow, and a great excuse to add to the collection!

You do good work!
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

Thanks man!

More work! Started a double row and another single row (since I already have the glass on hand for both, and I can certainly use the double row one).

Started as this 1x2x8:

[Image: IMAG1328_zps2571de4b.jpg]

Down to this (the two top pieces are extra's for another single, but I used a separate 1x2x6 for the single I'm working on now due to it all coming from one plank):

[Image: IMAG1330_zps2b4916f0.jpg]

And finally this. Ready for miter cuts.

[Image: IMAG1331_zpsd065e557.jpg]

I'm up in the air. I could try my hand with the hand box again tonight, but I'm going to a friends place on Monday after I run some errands and do a job interview, and he's said I can have at his miter saw while there. So........do I wait and get a one shot one kill on them, or do I chance it and have to do extra work but be a couple of days ahead. Decisions decisions.

After a job interview today, I was going over to my friends place to hang out. While there I was going to cut some pieces on his dads miter saw he was borrowing.

I get there, we're talking, and he says "Oh, you brought hte wood right?" I said yeah, and he says "well, I'm NOT going to be able to let you do the cuts on my dads saw (he was borrowing from his pops as he doesn't have one either)." My heart dropped because I really wanted to crank out these two display cases I'm building.

He reaches under his very large tree and slides a big box out (my back was turned) and says "But I can let you take this home and do the cuts on it."

[Image: IMAG1335_zps118b6116.jpg]

I was speechless. But the story behind it is better.

He had apparently been looking at this exact saw to get me for Christmas anyway. His wife did her research and found this one to be one of the better value's for not a lot of money, and got it for him for Christmas so he'd have his own. We have a HF in town so why she ordered on line I don't know, but it was delivered as you see. And he was home. Surprise ruined. So they talked it over and instead of returning it just decided to give it to me instead. Pretty awesome I think.

Can't wait to use it. Tomorrow!!!!! Just need to figure out if I need to swap blades or not for something a little finer.

Very nice! Congrats!
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

Yep, I'm stoked. I have two frames that need the miter cuts done and will be doing that later today. More to follow!

Ok, made my cuts. Tried both bevel cuts and just miter cuts. Saw needs just a *little* adjustment. But man it makes it so much faster. I have two frames "clamped' and drying now.

A "single"
[Image: IMAG1343_zps090a87cf.jpg]

A "Double"
[Image: IMAG1341_zps0c00d81b.jpg]

Miters are MUCH better now though, and frame fitment is better too:
[Image: IMAG1342_zpsafa0eb50.jpg]

Trying something new. Instead of a pass through slot, I'm actually taking the front piece where the slot would be off and going to bond it to the acrylic. This should allow for a much easier time sliding it in and out and will allow the acrylic to NOT have a chance of getting scratched on the pass through slot.

[Image: IMAG1344_zps9d6df948.jpg]

Very Nice!!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Ok, I'm LOVING the way these are coming out. They're ready for stain at this point.

Here's a close up on the corners of the single I did. This is with sanding ONLY. There's zero filler or anything in the miter cuts. I owe my buddy big time for the saw.

[Image: DSC_9949.JPG]

Here's the single and double I'm currently working on. You can see the missing strip on the left. I did this to make it easier to move the plexiglass in and out. Now with the strip bonded to the plexiglass, you've got something to hold and pull to make it easier.
[Image: DSC_9948.JPG]

This is simply with the plexiglass in place and the "grip strip" laying in place.
[Image: DSC_9950.JPG]

What do you guys think? Something worth pursuing further? Think there's a market for these smaller ones like this?