`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help/opinions on a HUGE purchase (84 Star Jordan)

Need help/opinions on a HUGE purchase (84 Star Jordan)
Hi everyone

So I finally have enough money saved up to purchase a BGS 9 1984 Star #101 Jordan RC... Only one problem... I have NO idea what's a fair price to offer for one?

I've seen them listed with BIN's of 10,000 with no completed sales of what I could find at that price. Then I have seen 8.5's sell between 3-4k in open auctions depending on subs!

So I don't know what's a fair dollar amount to offer for a BGS 9 without feeling possibly taken advantage of on my end, or low balling on the other end.

Anybody have any knowledge on past sales of the Star XRC BGS9? Or what the current market may indicate?

RE: Need help/opinions on a HUGE purchase (84 Star Jordan)
I'm not 100% but I think the last one that was at action went around 5K...It was awhile ago so I can’t quite remember.
With only 20 Graded copys at BGS 9, it might take awhile to find one for the right price.
To put it into prospective there are 312 BGS 9.5 Jordan RC’s and that’s not even counting how many PSA’s are out there.

Less than 300 MJ XRC’s graded in total.
NBA 50 GREATEST AUTOGRAPHS - 48/50 - 96%

50 Greatest still need - Chamberlin, Maravich.

Yeah I know the pop report is real low on BGS 9 Star's... I truly believe even though the Fleer is far & away more iconic, that the Star will be THE Jordan card to own when all is said n done by real hardcore collectors. I almost think getting one under 10k might end up being a steal in the long run!? Especially if PSA someday starts grading them!

(10-10-2013, 12:53 PM)bengu Wrote: Yeah I know the pop report is real low on BGS 9 Star's... I truly believe even though the Fleer is far & away more iconic, that the Star will be THE Jordan card to own when all is said n done by real hardcore collectors. I almost think getting one under 10k might end up being a steal in the long run!? Especially if PSA someday starts grading them!
If PSA starts grading them then their might be even more in high grade condition which would actually lower the value of the high grade card. By contrast if they start grading them and never give out a PSA 9 or 10 then it will definitely increase the value of the card, so there is no guarantee there.
That being said, I don't think the Star card will ever be as iconic or collectible as the Fleer card. Even though the Star card is older, when most people think MJ rookie they think of the Fleer card. I do think that the Star card is a good buy, but I don't think it will ever be THE card to own compared to the Fleer card.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

The 9's typically go for between 5-6k of course that depends on the subs. To be honest I've seen 8.5's with nicer subs than 9's and much more appealing than the 9 at times. The 8.5 or 8 on the centering is usually the only difference between the 8.5 and 9.

photo starmichaeljordanrookie_zpsf77a3fbd.jpg
[Image: DEAN%20SMITH%20MICHAEL%20JORDAN%20BANNER...qrwcus.jpg]