`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Topps and Pete Rose

Topps and Pete Rose
Sorry if this has been covered, but I was reading the back of Andrew McCutchen's 13 chrome card and it states that he is 3627 hits from the all time record. On everyone else, it says "with x home runs/steals/etc so and so is x away from Cy Young/Barry Bonds/etc all time record of x"

do they choose not to print the guys name?does he not allow them to? I mean its a MLB record, why doesnt Pete Rose get or want to get the credit for it?

RE: Topps and Pete Rose
Topps/MLB do not like or have a license/agreement to use pete rose for reasons im sure others know.
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

just spitballing here, but could it be because he got caught gambling and now his record might not be valid (or acknowledged) by the manufacturers or mlb?

I don't think they are barred from using his name as anyone that prints anyhting can say petes got xx runs, hits, etc.. but i really dont know for sure.
I've got Pro Set for Trade. All years, All sports, including Non-Sport and Errors and Variations. I collect All Pro Set and All Baseball from 1980 - 1991.

(10-03-2013, 03:17 AM)TaToRz Wrote: just spitballing here, but could it be because he got caught gambling and now his record might not be valid (or acknowledged) by the manufacturers or mlb?

I don't think they are barred from using his name as anyone that prints anyhting can say petes got xx runs, hits, etc.. but i really dont know for sure.
thats the thing, the record is acknowledged, its valid, they just choose not to give him credit for it. this year and last year topps included pete rose buybacks in heritage

got this off of the WWW
Topps is refusing to recognize Pete Rose as the MLB all-time hits leader who was banned in 1989 from baseball and deemed ineligible for the Baseball Hall of Fame amid findings that he bet on games as a player and manager.

In a report Wednesday from ChicagoSideSports.com, Topps spokesman Clay Luraschi said it was a “simple decision…plain and simple” but would not elaborate on why Rose, 71, was no longer recognized by the baseball card comapny. The former player and manager of the Cincinnati Reds has not appeared on the Topps card, nor has he been referenced on one, since his ban almost 25 years ago.

Despite Topps’ omission of Rose, the baseball card company still recognizes Barry Bonds as the all-time home runs leader. In January, Bonds was denied entry into the Baseball Hall of Fame after he was found guilty on obstruction of justice charges amid longtime allegations of steroid use.

[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(10-04-2013, 10:46 PM)waynetalger Wrote: got this off of the WWW
Topps is refusing to recognize Pete Rose as the MLB all-time hits leader who was banned in 1989 from baseball and deemed ineligible for the Baseball Hall of Fame amid findings that he bet on games as a player and manager.

In a report Wednesday from ChicagoSideSports.com, Topps spokesman Clay Luraschi said it was a “simple decision…plain and simple” but would not elaborate on why Rose, 71, was no longer recognized by the baseball card comapny. The former player and manager of the Cincinnati Reds has not appeared on the Topps card, nor has he been referenced on one, since his ban almost 25 years ago.

Despite Topps’ omission of Rose, the baseball card company still recognizes Barry Bonds as the all-time home runs leader. In January, Bonds was denied entry into the Baseball Hall of Fame after he was found guilty on obstruction of justice charges amid longtime allegations of steroid use.
Great post, Wayne! Thanks for that info, I did not know that Bonds was denied HOF entry. I knew about the rest of your post, just not that part.
As I was reading the thread, I was thinking that my reply would be that soon Bonds wouldn't be recognized as the all-time HR leader either. Then I read your reply and I guess I don't really need to say that now b/c it should be obvious.
To end this reply, I would like to say that I still don't believe Pete's accomplishments as a player should be disregarded just b/c of his gambling.

My column on this topic here: http://www.beckett.com/news/2013/02/pete...mlbs-call/
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

(10-09-2013, 01:23 PM)chrisolds Wrote: My column on this topic here: http://www.beckett.com/news/2013/02/pete...mlbs-call/
I understand that he's not included on cards, but his record is, so why not put different trivia on the backs of cards since Topps can't use his name. MLB can acknowledge that his record is valid but not the mans existence? Does not make sense for Topps to skirt around it instead of just drop it altogether and put different trivia/facts/whatever. Of course that's going to piss people off.

next is going to be that guy who had an affair with madonna is 108 home runs shy of breaking that guy whos forehead grew unusually large throughout his career record of 762