Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me collect Basketball!

Help me collect Basketball!
Hello fellow forum-members,

I'm relatively new to the Beckett boards. I've collected baseball and football cards for about a year and have grew tired of them. I enjoy watching and following basketball (Favorite Team: Bulls, Favorite Players: Jimmy Buckets, Ricky Rubio, Kemba Walker), but I have never gotten into the card aspect of it.

That being said, what is the rookie card to get in the basketball world? I know that in baseball it is a Bowman Chrome auto and in football it is a Contenders auto.

Also, where would you suggest I start? Picking up singles? Breaking boxes? I feel like everything is expensive when it comes to basketball cards lol.

Thanks for the read and your guidance!

-N

RE: Help me collect Basketball!
(10-01-2013, 09:55 PM)nt2319 Wrote: Hello fellow forum-members,

I'm relatively new to the Beckett boards. I've collected baseball and football cards for about a year and have grew tired of them. I enjoy watching and following basketball (Favorite Team: Bulls, Favorite Players: Jimmy Buckets, Ricky Rubio, Kemba Walker), but I have never gotten into the card aspect of it.

That being said, what is the rookie card to get in the basketball world? I know that in baseball it is a Bowman Chrome auto and in football it is a Contenders auto.

Also, where would you suggest I start? Picking up singles? Breaking boxes? I feel like everything is expensive when it comes to basketball cards lol.

Thanks for the read and your guidance!

-N
It all depends on what you like...THE rookie card to get could be a handful, but I think most people would put the Michael Jordan RC and Lebron James exquisite RC in the top 2!
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

(10-01-2013, 10:03 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: It all depends on what you like...THE rookie card to get could be a handful, but I think most people would put the Michael Jordan RC and Lebron James exquisite RC in the top 2!
Thanks for the tip!

I'm talking more about a general set rather than a specific player/card.

Is a National Treasures RPA the best RC auto to get in b-ball? Because I looked up Rubio's and it's insane lol.

(10-01-2013, 10:11 PM)nt2319 Wrote: Thanks for the tip!

I'm talking more about a general set rather than a specific player/card.

Is a National Treasures RPA the best RC auto to get in b-ball? Because I looked up Rubio's and it's insane lol.
again, a matter of preference. I, for one, prefer Exquisites or SP Authentics (well, when UD had an NBA license lol)
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

National Treasures is definitely the Rookie to get right now. But there are a couple high end releases getting ready to drop, Flawless and Immaculate. As expensive as they are going to be, I think either could potentially become "The" product for basketball rookies.

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your collections. My personal preference is singles, because you get more of what you want for your money. Plus like you said basketball is expensive, you could spend $1200 on a box of NT and not hit a thing, or you could take the $1200 and buy several RPA's of the Rookies you want.
[Image: 23892124190_71315005dc_b.jpg]

Pre-Panini Era, the rookie card to get was the Exquisite RPA (Rookie Patch Auto), IMO. But I mean there were so many other solid and longstanding sets to get awesome RC autos from like the RPAs in SP Authentic. But if you're an old school guy and don't want no memorabilia but rather refractors and such, then RC autos in Topps Chrome, Topps Finest and Bowman/Bowman Chrome sounds like your cup of tea. The hard to pull Topps Rookie Photoshoot on-card RC autos from Topps were solid too. Remember, I'm referring to when UD & Topps had the NBA license and not the basketball cards UD is releasing now of player's in their amateur uniforms (which I can't stand, btw).

Now that we're in the Panini Era of basketball cards or as I like to call it, "The Panini Tyranny Era" of basketball cards, I would say the best rookie card auto to get would be the RPA in Playoff National Treasures. Granted, The Panini Tyranny regime are set to release a new, so-called "Flawless" set that will run you $1,250 - $1,500 per box but that technically hasn't come out yet, so those RPAs cannot be acknowledged just yet.. As for the rest of their sets, they kind of mix up everything year by year. There's no other sets where the designs have been the same since day one, as far as RC autos. Actually, Totally Certified have had the same designs & parallels for their rookie cards. But since The Panini Tyranny have discovered acetate autos, it can almost be found in every set from this past year. Not all but a good portion. Their version of Topps Chrome, which is called "Panini Prizm" have good prizm/refractor RC autos. But this past season was their first release of it. So, we'll have to wait and see if they manage to screw that up for next season (13'14).

Yes, you are right, everything is expensive when it comes to basketball cards. Which is why I'm going to now HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you DO NOT BUY any Panini basketball boxes.

You are better off taking that money and buying singles. Buy the cards you exactly want, of the player's you exactly want. Like the players you mentioned, Jimmy "Buckets" (is this supposed to be Jimmy Butler? lol), Ricky Rubio and Kemba Walker. It won't be as fun picking up their singles Vs. opening up a box of cards but trust me, you don't want to spend $100 on a box and pull autos of Ivan Johnson, Brian Roberts and Brandon Bass. And/or you could also be a team collector if you're that hardcore of a Bulls fan. That would definitely be more expensive since Michael Jordan was a Chicago Bull, lol.

But good luck in whatever decision you make and welcome.
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys! Means a lot.

I feel like in basketball, there isn't a gap between low-end and high-end cards. For instance, it is very difficult to find (at least for me) a on-card auto of the guys I like in the $25-$45 range.

Also, I meant Jimmy "Buckets" Butler lol.

I did just pick up my first Basketball card though - 2012/13 Preferred Marco Belinelli 1/1 plate. Preferred definitely is my favorite looking set thus far, but it is just too dang expensive.