Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimum Value For A Graded Card

Minimum Value For A Graded Card
This is my first time on the forum.

Is there a thumbrule for the minimum value for a graded card? For example, say a card has a mint value of $1.50. What would the same card be if it was graded 9? I believe that just the fact that a card is graded typically increases its value. But is there also an increase in value just because of the fact that it cost something to grade the card?

Thanks

RE: Minimum Value For A Graded Card
I don't believe there is a set amount and it would depend on the value to the person buying it... For me, a psa 9 $1.50 BV card would be less than a raw card, just because they are a pain to store.

For someone whoe collects graded it may be worth a couple bucks more...
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

It really depends on the card. However almost any modern card with a book value of $1.50 would not be worth grading (as the cost of grading would outweight the potential in return). That being said, it hasn't stopped people from getting these cards graded. A $1.50 card with a grade of 9 will command a slight premium but most $1.50 cards can easily be bought for $0.25 raw, so a graded 9 might sell for $1. It definitely doesn't offset the cost of grading. There are a lot of late 80s and early 90s rookie cards that people got graded thinking they would be big money, but that isn't the case.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Thanks to you both. You see a lot of cards on ebay that have mint book values in the range of $1-3 and people are trying to get $10+ for these cards in PSA 9 condition.

(10-01-2013, 02:53 PM)cnabholz Wrote: Thanks to you both. You see a lot of cards on ebay that have mint book values in the range of $1-3 and people are trying to get $10+ for these cards in PSA 9 condition.
People put things on eBay with high asking prices all the time. eBay has a set number of free listings each month and runs promotions for unlimited free listings from time to time, so it doesn't cost anything to list them (and if someone happens to buy the card at the high price then the seller is happy). If it doesn't sell, well it is free to relist the card, and most people just keep listing until it sells or until they get tired or relisting and either lower the price or stop relisting it altogether. A better gauge of value is to look at the completed listings for the cards, and see what they are actually selling for.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I don't go by the guide. A card is worth what someone will pay. Period.

The black bordered mini of Yasiel Puig in Allen & Ginter is listed at $30,00. I had to pay $32,00 to get it.So it is worth $32,00.

On the other end. I have a Derek Jeter card numbered 2 of 5. On EBay, someone asked $150,00 for card 3 of 5 . In 3 months, no one bought it. So, i know this card isn't worth $150,00 as no one is buying it.

Stop with your crazy economics.
I am a set builder and collect Ted Williams.
Current Projects:

1940 Play Ball: 105/240
1953 Topps: 168/274
1960 Topps: 447/642 (includes WB versions)
1969 Topps: 596/696 (includes alternate versions)
2013 Topps Archives: 592/X Cards

I'm usually always willing to pay $5 bucks on a guy I collect, and still feel like a win cause the grading was more than that.
All in with pocket Aces.... Andre Johnson and Aaron Rodgers.

I won't buy a card if it's graded but with a less than amazing grade. Not because I'm a highroller, but because I prefer raw cards. They're much easier to work with and store. I'd pay more for a raw card that looks like it's in VG condition than I would for one that was graded to be in VG condition. Something about that big ugly "5" on top turns me off too.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

i agree with most posts on here.. having a $1.50 card graded might not be the best use of your $$. But since i specialize in Pro Set, the $1.00 card of lets say Santa Claus graded PSA10 would demand a premium from me (last "cheap" one was $17 + $3 ship - i missed it). Buying it now lets me get rid of all my extras (you know.. the ones i would get graded later, but never do.. lol). I would never pay a premium for a 9 of a Santa though.. it isn't "perfect", so to me it is a $1 card in a slab.

hope i made some sense Smile
I've got Pro Set for Trade. All years, All sports, including Non-Sport and Errors and Variations. I collect All Pro Set and All Baseball from 1980 - 1991.