`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SCANNING BGS SLABS..
09-26-2013, 06:05 PM
SCANNING BGS SLABS..
Does anyone have any suggestions on scanning BGS slabs?
It seems to me the newer scanners just don't scan the cards slabbed by bgs as clear as they use to..
Should I go dig out an old scanner or is there something new with the slabs that make scans of bgs slabs blurry?
I have very nice office scanners and equipment in my office but I'm not happy with the scan quality I'm getting on with cards graded by BGS.
Appreciate any ideas, thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2013, 06:16 PM
RE: SCANNING BGS SLABS..
I only know enough to be dangerous, but it's the lighting source that makes the difference. I get the best scans from my old flatbed scanners. If you run Windows 7, you might have to run a virtual XP mode to use the scanners since you'll have issues finding drivers.

Album: Album

1997 Donruss Preferred Precious Metals
1997 Topps Gallery Gallery of Heroes
09-26-2013, 06:21 PM
(09-26-2013 06:16 PM)Texan1985 Wrote:  I only know enough to be dangerous, but it's the lighting source that makes the difference. I get the best scans from my old flatbed scanners. If you run Windows 7, you might have to run a virtual XP mode to use the scanners since you'll have issues finding drivers.

Thanks, My guess was the lighting but I wasn't sure.

I've been told the newer scanners with the led lights are an issue, so I may have to dig in the attic for the old lap top with windows xp and the old flatbed cannon..

My guess was the lighting but I wasn't sure.
09-26-2013, 08:32 PM
(09-26-2013 08:06 PM)jeffv96masters Wrote:   Epson V300 Photo scanner OR a CanoScan 4400f are both very cheap, clear photo takes of cards.

Thanks Jeff.
09-26-2013, 10:29 PM
I use the Epson V500 I think (might be the 300 but I'm not home to check) and absolutely love it! Beautiful scans!

[Image: img414_zps979a7f90.jpg]

Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC
09-26-2013, 11:02 PM
I agree with all the replies. It is the light source. I have a Canon LIDE 600F which did not work well with either beckett or PSA graded cards. It would blur the Beckett's slabs, with the PSA slabs it would scan, but not pick up all the detail.

So I dug out my old HP Scanjet G4010 scanner. Only bad thing on my Dell with Windows 7, wouldn't take all the software, but I installed just the drives and then went to the Devices and Printers window, right clicked on the HP and it would scan great.

So hopefully you can do the same on your system.
09-27-2013, 08:29 AM
I find since my lid doesn't close I leave the lid up and cover my cards with thick cloth. This gets me relatively clear photos that I can't get with just the lid down 3/4 of the way.

Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas
[Image: grantorinogetoffmylawn.jpg]
09-27-2013, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2013 12:48 PM by patrick54.)
Thanks for all the replies..
I hate scanning high end cards only to have a blurred picture..
I'm calling it a weekend early today and will start digging in the attic for some old equipment.
I did a little more reading on the net last night and come across a blog talking about a scanner needs to be a ccd and not have led light.
I'm guessing that all of todays scanners have led lighting so I may have to buy a used scanner but since
I don't like buying used cp equipment I'm hoping I can find one in my cemetery of out dated electronics or hoard which ever you prefer..
Branesergen does your scanner have the led lighting? That is a good quality scan.
09-28-2013, 04:11 AM
I have the Epson Perfection V500. Best $150 I've ever spent! Got it at Office Depot.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/P...B11B189011

Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC
09-28-2013, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2013 06:19 PM by tristanrules.)
Forget scanners, use a camera

[Image: Untitled00071-L.jpg]

[Image: Untitled010387-4-2013-L.jpg]