`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Pack sequencing - When and how frequently?

Pack sequencing - When and how frequently?
I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to busting old wax boxes of cards. I've busted several boxes the past year or so of early 80's baseball products and have actually had many big hits. But what I've read recently about pack sequencing scares me. Apparently, just by looking at the top card in the pack you can tell what every card in the pack will be. Was it really this easy? And did every major manufacture of sports cards have a sequence to their packs? When did this practice end? Was it for cello packs only, or did wax packs and rack packs have sequences as well? If this is the case, I would think it would be impossible to find a single untampered vintage box on eBay. I'm not saying it's ethical, but it seems like it would be pretty easy (and smart) to pull out every good cello pack with a good sequence from early Topps products, replace those packs with packs that have a bad sequence, and still sell the box for thousands of dollars. And it would be impossible to prove that the box was tampered with because none of the packs were actually opened. As much info as possible would be helpful, especially on the manufactures that had pack sequencing and when sequencing stopped.

RE: Pack sequencing - When and how frequently?
From busting old wax boxes you can pick up for 5 bucks at shows... I have found that Donruss (88 and 89 especially) usually came in an order. You normally get the top card (lets say 457) and all the cards in a row for about 10 cards (perhaps to 467) a small run of 3 or 4 from another part of the set, and then like card 470 or so. Some member here actually just posted in the breaks forum about busting an old 88 Donruss case and how out of 12 boxes he only ended up with 3 complete sets.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

RE: Pack sequencing - When and how frequently?
I heard vintage Topps was notorious for having a sequence. Is it even worth buying, lets say, a 1984 Topps football box or 1982 Topps baseball box unless you buy it from a trusted dealer like BBCExchange who opened it from a sealed case.