`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
92-93 Upper Deck Jordan Error card?

92-93 Upper Deck Jordan Error card?
I was organizing some cards today and I came across a stash of 92-93 Upper Deck #453 Michael Jordan "1985, 1990" error cards. What struck me as interesting is that some of the cards have gold foil and others have more of a copper colored foil. I know this card used to sell for BIG money back in the day, and it got me wondering if someone made some counterfeits with a different colored foil or if Upper Deck used 2 different colors of foil. The difference in foil color is not really noticeable when looking straight on, but at an angle with decent lighting it becomes obvious. Does anyone know anything about this variation in foil color?
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

RE: 92-93 Upper Deck Jordan Error card?
Hmm...first I would have heard of it. But wouldn't surprise me if just a different type of foil. Not sure if it could have been scaped off a corrected version...then restamped with the error date?? Seems like a lot of work to fake that card since it was quite a common error in the early boxes and initial release.
Collect Michael Jordan, Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Eaton, Kresimir Cosic, Int'l oddballs
I specialize in hard to find oddities for player/team collectors
eBay Geonut (100+ auctions)
Int'l/player INVENTORY: http://www.hobbydisplay.com/geonut/

(09-26-2013, 02:32 PM)odditycards Wrote: Hmm...first I would have heard of it. But wouldn't surprise me if just a different type of foil. Not sure if it could have been scaped off a corrected version...then restamped with the error date?? Seems like a lot of work to fake that card since it was quite a common error in the early boxes and initial release.
The different color foil is in all spots on the card where foil is present (i.e. on Michael Jordan's name as well as the entire area that has "1985, 1990 Two-Time Champion"). So it definitely would have been a lot of work to scrap off the old foil and put on new foil. However I don't doubt that someone may have come up with a good technique to simply remove all the foil and then add a new foil layer. That being said, I don't recall this error being all that common. In fact I remember this error getting into the triple digits in terms of book value, so there was definitely incentive for a counterfeiter to do this.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

hey i have a heap of those error cards.
I hope they are legit.
There are some that are slightly different but i hope it only from being from a seperate print run or something like that