`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yes, I know this is a weird question......

RE: Yes, I know this is a weird question......
We did these time capsule things for my daughters, big tins with books to fill out and room to put in odds and ends and stuff from the year they were born .... not to be opened until they're 16.
If I had a son today, I'd put together a set of prospects from Bowman platinum. 100 cards, not horribly expensive base and it would be cool 16 years from now for him to open it and see if anyone made it big after a 16 year career!
Congrats on your family's upcoming bundle of joy, and hope he arrives Dec 31 ... Great tax write off for 2013 and then 2014 ... And you won't have to wait for 2014 card sets to come out Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

You can't go wrong with any of the suggestions above, but most of these sets are throwback sets that don't really scream 2013. Except for Bowman of course. Don't get me wrong, some of my favs are Heritage, A&G, Archives, and Gypsy but sets like Platinum, Finest, and even Tribute are the type that really look modern. Actually, I think Finest is going to look like 1993 this year lol. The Tribute base can be had very cheap considering it is a higher end product and they look awesome too.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

When my daughter was born in 1999 (Dec 31) I put together all the base cards of my favorite 2 teams the Flyers and Phillies for that year. Since they were base cards they were inexpensive. Still have them in binders.
Collecting Phillies base cards from 1950-present
Collecting all catcher prospect and rookie cards

(09-13-2013, 08:09 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: old as dirt (40)
Hey Josh, you're not that older than me. I'll be 38 in 5 days.
Congrats on the new bundle of joy!!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(09-14-2013, 03:27 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: Hey Josh, you're not that older than me. I'll be 38 in 5 days.
Congrats on the new bundle of joy!!
Wait until you're 40, Nolan. You will see there is a big difference between 3-8 and 4-0.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

Lots of great suggestions. What I started doing when my son was born in 1994 was to buy a Topps factory set and leave it sealed. After I get this years it will be 20 sealed factory sets. By the way, today is his 19th birthday.

(09-13-2013, 08:05 PM)swansot Wrote: Kind of curious about that answer. What is your age group?
(09-13-2013, 08:09 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: old as dirt (40)
Nice. I was fourteen and already collecting cards when you were born. How old does that make me. Older than what?

To the OP, I wouldn't go with my favorite sets which are the retro-themed ones others have mentioned. Although I don't collect prospects, I would lean towards a prospect-based set as DrMitchJ suggested for the same reasons. The players that make it will still be playing by the time your little one is old enough to comprehend the game.

Congrats.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I would throw in the Topps set of the World Series winner.