IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
grading question -- press mark and a nick in otherwise flawless card
Question 
grading question -- press mark and a nick in otherwise flawless card
Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

I'm thinking of getting a card graded. It is flawless, except for two problems both on the backside: a nick in the edge (which I'm guessing would drop edge grade to a 9) and a horizontal press mark, probably from the manufacturing process, that runs from the edge of the card, ~1/4" long. There's no breaking of the surface, and it is completely invisible unless looked at from *exactly* the right angle. Anybody know what that would do to the surface grade? The front of the card is flawless.

[EDIT: Pic removed. Thanks for the help everybody!]

Thank you!

RE: grading question -- press mark and a nick in otherwise flawless card
(09-09-2013, 12:37 PM)portablegorilla Wrote: Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

I'm thinking of getting a card graded. It is flawless, except for two problems both on the backside: a nick in the edge (which I'm guessing would drop edge grade to a 9) and a horizontal press mark, probably from the manufacturing process, that runs from the edge of the card, ~1/4" long. There's no breaking of the surface, and it is completely invisible unless looked at from *exactly* the right angle. Anybody know what that would do to the surface grade? The front of the card is flawless. I have a picture on photobucket:

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae229...fb8626.jpg

Thank you!
I didn't even look at the picture. Just based on your description, you're probably looking at an overall grade of a BGS 8.

People tend to over state their card's condition. As is only human.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Thank you. Any chance you can take a look at the photo to tell me what the effect of the mark would be? I'm wondering if there's a fair chance it by itself could lower the surface below 8.

(09-09-2013, 02:39 PM)portablegorilla Wrote: Thank you. Any chance you can take a look at the photo to tell me what the effect of the mark would be? I'm wondering if there's a fair chance it by itself could lower the surface below 8.
That's a pretty significant nick. That's gonna kill the Edges subgrade. What card is this a photo of? What year is it? Is it before 1981? IF I were you, unless it is a card before 1981, I probably wouldn't get it graded. IF it's before 1981, then I might get it graded, just so the damage doesn't get any worse. There is another option. You could get it slabbed as Authentic, IF in fact it turns out to be Authentic.

I hope that this is of some use.

The problem is that the edge subgrade will be low and normally the overall grade is never more than one grade above the lowest subgrade....
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

(09-10-2013, 02:03 PM)dmasci Wrote: The problem is that the edge subgrade will be low and normally the overall grade is never more than one grade above the lowest subgrade....
+1 right