`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Does Anyone Know the Origin of These Cards???

RE: Does Anyone Know the Origin of These Cards???
I am going to follow up on my own post so anyone else researching this will find the information a bit easier than I did. This is what I found out about the Montana auto.

These autos that are hand numbered to 1979 (either from the base set (#40, #'d on the front) or from the promo set (#3, #'d on the back)) are believed to have originated in the mid 90s. I have one from the promo set graded by Mint Grading Service (MGS) and I have tracked another from the base set graded by World Class Grading (WCG). The one from WCG was being shown with a LOA from Goldin auctions. I contacted Ken Goldin, and he told me the following about the item;

"I can tell you Joe signed those autographs for Golind Sports marketing directly, and they are authentic. They were slabbed by WCG for sale on TV. No one 'verified' the autograph as it was signed in person by Joe Montana."

WCG also replied with simply, "It was a Scoreboard autographed card. Authenticated by WCG"

As far as mine graded by MGS, I can only assume they were slabbed by them for the same purpose. FYI, MGS is a bogus company that is no longer in business. When they were, they were reported to the BBB. They were a cheap slab company that worked out of a residence. The physical addresses that pop up for MGS come up on Google Earth as a Verizon warehouse center and a home. The mailing address is a UPS store. The same kind of findings are for WCG as well. WCG at least answer their emails, but post no contact numbers on their website. MGS, all contact info is incorrect and turned off / disconnected.

I have been in contact with JSA and plan to send the slabbed card for authentication and sent to Beckett for reslabbing (possibly grading if it grades well). I hope this helps those who have looked for the origin of this 1990 Collegiate Collection #3 or #40 Joe Montana autograph. I will update when I send and receive the card back from JSA/Beckett.

RE: Does Anyone Know the Origin of These Cards???
Here is an update on the 1990 Notre Dame Promos Joe Montana Autograph numbered to 1979. Before I was asking if this card was legit because I have seen it graded by a few unreliable grading services like WCG and MGS. Some were autographed on the promo card #3 and others on the base set card #40. They have the same photo on the front. Earlier I posted all the information I could on this card so others Googling it can easily find out about it, unlike me. Below is a scan of the final result. Hope this helps others out that have one of the other 1978 cards out there and what to know about it. I suggest getting it re-authenticated and graded in order to resell it. I plan to keep this in my collection.

Montana Auto photo MontanaAuto_zps79f7da7d.jpg