`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How can any one person or entity have so many Gem Mint condition?
09-07-2013, 08:41 AM
How can any one person or entity have so many Gem Mint condition?
PWCC has hundreds of auctions ongoing. It makes me cringe to see how many PSA 10 cards they have listed which of course sell for 300%++ over the same card as a 9 Mint.

How can any one person or entity have so many Gem Mint condition? I am sure that if I sent in the same exact condition card, mine would come back a 9 every time whereas it seems the big boys get the 10 Gem Mints.

I use BGS grading now but have used PSA in the past. I don't see the same thing as much with BGS, but I also noticed and have first hand experience with buiying/selling 9.5 BGS vs PSA 10. The PSA 10 on average I'd guess commands a premium over BGS 9.5 of I'd guess 15-30%. I suspect the PSA Set Registry has something to do with this and people wanting to be "best" on it.

Net Net..Do others notice the supposedly objective grading scale being subjectively influenced by the auction houses and dealer$ who spend lots on grading? Ever feel your card should be a Gem when only given a 9 and know they value difference is astronomical?

I had to get this out. Sorry for the rant.

Your Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2013, 11:33 PM
RE: How can any one person or entity have so many Gem Mint condition?
Way of life #1...Money talks and the rich just get richer hence life isnt fair and you cant control everything. But to answer your question I believe corruption by greed touches almost anything associated with money these days. I collect because I enjoy it and im not worried about the return on investment or being able to retire off my sport card collection one day.
10-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Don't worry about it, life is too short.
In their defense I believe they are a auction house selling peoples best cards.
I think it is just the way of service now as technology and consumer habits change. I don't buy or bid on their items for various reasons discussed and questions raised like yourself.

Probstein is another one
03-28-2014, 05:58 AM
Condition is very important to mostly everyone so 10s always will bring more demand, with one person getting so many just goes along with why I do not grade unless the card is older and I need to sell (very seldom as I am a collector not a flipper).

I can protect my cards just as good as any grading company, for an example I had a few Jeter SP rookies and kept them protected over the years...then need to sell one and sent into grading...with all of the tricks of the grading trade out in the open now I was able to pull a 9.5 for surface, centering - corners - edges were never an issue. Now I am sure if I would have done no touch ups to the card with my magic cloth - removing oils and prints the surface would have been less.

My little trick - I have an old deep freezer that I use to store all my high dollar stuff in. Was able to build in shelving and just keep unplugged with a hole & small computer fan (hooked to 9V battery). Instant temp controlled environment - One touches and Team Bags are life savers.

[Image: Sig.png]

https://sites.google.com/site/jsjscollectables