`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Does Anyone Know the Origin of These Cards???
09-06-2013, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2013 08:53 PM by trduchien.)
Does Anyone Know the Origin of These Cards???
Please someone let me know where these cards come from. They are graded, and I use that term loosely, by MGS (I believe they are out of business as their contact numbers on their site are no longer working and an email won't go through) and GMA. The four cards I would like to get re-graded by BGS, but I am not sure they will because these cards are not "officially" issued cards, to say out of a pack. Beckett has no listing for these cards and I find little to no information online. This is what I do know....

The Manti Te'o is a J&L Art card and though I cannot find the card on GMA's website, they do sell these types of cards and it is graded by them. The card is on canvas and has a blank back.

The two 2005 Premier Prospect cards seem to be from no set as I cannot find like cards. I see others from other years, but nothing consistent.

The Montana is a 1990 Notre Dame Collegiate Collection Promo #3. The label dose not say promo, but that card in the set is #40, not #3. This card is autographed and numbered to 1979. Now, I have seen a few of these, graded by MGS. A few with the numbering on the front, others on the back. I finally noticed that the set card #40 has the numbering on the front and the promo set #3 has the numbering on the back. I have also seen one graded by WGS. I did see a #1 from the set numbered 3/3 with a "1977 National Champs" below the auto graded by PSA.

Where did these cards come from and will BGS grade them? I know if they would, I would have to send the Montana to JSA first.
Thanks to anyone that can help shed some light on the matter.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2013, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2013 08:37 PM by trduchien.)
RE: Does Anyone Know the Origin of These Cards???
The pics will not attach for some reason.
09-06-2013, 09:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2013 11:55 AM by trduchien.)
Would Beckett grade these cards, or at least slab the art cards because they aren't "licensed"?

photo MontanaFront_zps12548a96.jpg

photo MontanaBack_zpsa62a2809.jpg

photo Quinn-SamardzijaFront_zps2fbabe2e.jpg

photo Quinn-SamardzijaBack_zpsb1bc86f5.jpg

photo Teo_zpsfeb53b21.jpg
09-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Try the football section. I'm sure there is someone there who can help you and you'll probably have an answer within in hour. More traffic than down here Smile

Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC
09-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Jeff, thanks for the tip on the photos. Will Beckett at least slab the art cards as they would a photo? With the Montana, I would have to send to JSA first and with comparing the signature with my untrained eye, but good attention to detail, it has all the little nuances and details Joe has in his short hand signature. I know MGS, WCS and almost all other grading companies are bogus with the exception of BGS, PSA and a lot of people swear by SCG. The MGS slabs used to be sold at Walmart & Target all the time. With the art cards, I got them because I liked them and it is hard to find anything with Jeff in his football uniform, card wise. I got the Te'o because it was his iconic pose and it looked cool. I just hope the Montana auto is legit. Not because I spent a lot of money, but because there is very few of him signing a card in his ND uniform.
09-07-2013, 05:39 PM
JSA/BGS on the auto for sure and no on the Art cards. I had a well known Monty Sheldon Art card of Roger Clemens- declined.

I need to follow up on something now that your post reminded me of it.

Let me check on something and get back to you.

Jeff

SUGGESTIONS SUBMIT IT HERE !!

Mod Team member
09-17-2013, 10:10 AM
JSA and Beckett got back with me and they said what I thought they would. The art cards are a no go and the Montana will have to go to JSA first before possibly going to Beckett. I still haven't gotten any clue where the Montana came from though. The best answer I got was from a guy on eBay that had one of them #'d 3/3 and was authenticated from "Triumph Sports & Joe Montana" and has a hologram. He believes that these other signatures may have originated from Triumph Sports as well before they went out of business. Any ideas?

Jeff,
You said you were going to get back with me on something that my post reminded you of?????
10-09-2013, 12:09 PM
I am going to follow up on my own post so anyone else researching this will find the information a bit easier than I did. This is what I found out about the Montana auto.

These autos that are hand numbered to 1979 (either from the base set (#40, #'d on the front) or from the promo set (#3, #'d on the back)) are believed to have originated in the mid 90s. I have one from the promo set graded by Mint Grading Service (MGS) and I have tracked another from the base set graded by World Class Grading (WCG). The one from WCG was being shown with a LOA from Goldin auctions. I contacted Ken Goldin, and he told me the following about the item;

"I can tell you Joe signed those autographs for Golind Sports marketing directly, and they are authentic. They were slabbed by WCG for sale on TV. No one 'verified' the autograph as it was signed in person by Joe Montana."

WCG also replied with simply, "It was a Scoreboard autographed card. Authenticated by WCG"

As far as mine graded by MGS, I can only assume they were slabbed by them for the same purpose. FYI, MGS is a bogus company that is no longer in business. When they were, they were reported to the BBB. They were a cheap slab company that worked out of a residence. The physical addresses that pop up for MGS come up on Google Earth as a Verizon warehouse center and a home. The mailing address is a UPS store. The same kind of findings are for WCG as well. WCG at least answer their emails, but post no contact numbers on their website. MGS, all contact info is incorrect and turned off / disconnected.

I have been in contact with JSA and plan to send the slabbed card for authentication and sent to Beckett for reslabbing (possibly grading if it grades well). I hope this helps those who have looked for the origin of this 1990 Collegiate Collection #3 or #40 Joe Montana autograph. I will update when I send and receive the card back from JSA/Beckett.
12-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Here is an update on the 1990 Notre Dame Promos Joe Montana Autograph numbered to 1979. Before I was asking if this card was legit because I have seen it graded by a few unreliable grading services like WCG and MGS. Some were autographed on the promo card #3 and others on the base set card #40. They have the same photo on the front. Earlier I posted all the information I could on this card so others Googling it can easily find out about it, unlike me. Below is a scan of the final result. Hope this helps others out that have one of the other 1978 cards out there and what to know about it. I suggest getting it re-authenticated and graded in order to resell it. I plan to keep this in my collection.

Montana Auto photo MontanaAuto_zps79f7da7d.jpg
12-20-2013, 09:36 AM
(10-09-2013 12:09 PM)trduchien Wrote:  I am going to follow up on my own post so anyone else researching this will find the information a bit easier than I did. This is what I found out about the Montana auto.

These autos that are hand numbered to 1979 (either from the base set (#40, #'d on the front) or from the promo set (#3, #'d on the back)) are believed to have originated in the mid 90s. I have one from the promo set graded by Mint Grading Service (MGS) and I have tracked another from the base set graded by World Class Grading (WCG). The one from WCG was being shown with a LOA from Goldin auctions. I contacted Ken Goldin, and he told me the following about the item;

"I can tell you Joe signed those autographs for Golind Sports marketing directly, and they are authentic. They were slabbed by WCG for sale on TV. No one 'verified' the autograph as it was signed in person by Joe Montana."

WCG also replied with simply, "It was a Scoreboard autographed card. Authenticated by WCG"

As far as mine graded by MGS, I can only assume they were slabbed by them for the same purpose. FYI, MGS is a bogus company that is no longer in business. When they were, they were reported to the BBB. They were a cheap slab company that worked out of a residence. The physical addresses that pop up for MGS come up on Google Earth as a Verizon warehouse center and a home. The mailing address is a UPS store. The same kind of findings are for WCG as well. WCG at least answer their emails, but post no contact numbers on their website. MGS, all contact info is incorrect and turned off / disconnected.

I have been in contact with JSA and plan to send the slabbed card for authentication and sent to Beckett for reslabbing (possibly grading if it grades well). I hope this helps those who have looked for the origin of this 1990 Collegiate Collection #3 or #40 Joe Montana autograph. I will update when I send and receive the card back from JSA/Beckett.

I would be interested in the brady Quinn lol

* Super Collecting * Cleveland Browns * Cameron Maybin *

129/611 - 21% c-maybin