`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest Regret

Biggest Regret
I feel like most people have at one point jumped on a bandwagon that ended up going no where. I can think of two big busts of mine:

Rick DiPietro - local kid who went first overall. Why wouldn't I start collecting that. Didn't invest a ton on memorabilia cards, but I definitely chased a fair share of rookie cards. I don't think I could give them away now.

Steve Mason - Calder trophy winner, Vezina finalist. Cool looking gear made for nice cards. As he kept the season going, I started making more and bigger pick ups. OPC Premier, Lettermen, and others. I started paying a premium, but I was miscalculating his staying power. I'm hoping a full season in Philly rejuvenates him. But I see Emery easily taking over the #1 spot.

Now I tend to go for proven vets and let the rookies cool off (maybe with the exception of Torey Krug). But now I'm solely focused on one collection.

Does anyone have similar stories? I feel your pain.
I want to clarify that I'm not bashing on these two guys. If anyone collects them, I'd be willing to sell. Even though they were short-lived careers, I still went out for every Blaine Lacher and Jim Carey card.

RE: Biggest Regret
I've met DP over the years many times as I live 15 minutes from both Nassau Coliseum & Iceworks, (where they practice). I have PAGES of autographed cards & photos as the guy was a machine with the sharpie & NEVER turned down an autograph request. I remember 1 year he was signing autographs before a game & some Rangers fans were heckling him. DP jokingly mouthed off to them as he went inside the Coliseum. 10 minutes later he came back out with signed gamed used sticks & apologized to the 2 Rangers fans, who were shocked! You'll probably not find a nicer player in hockey. What a shame injuries practically killed his mobility and playing ability. Plus when you see a guy like that act nice, naturally, if you're a collector, you invest in his cards too. I had EVERY rookie, including the Titanium #'d to 99 and a Topps Chrome Refractor #'d to 25, easily his 2 biggest rookie cards. I still have the refractor, which I'd probably get $5 for & the Titanium I barely got $10. I probably lost 95% of my value holding on to them as long as I did. But who knew DP would become a walking hospital bed?

Alexander Daigle
Patrick Stefan
Pavel Brendl

Pretty much anyone else who went in the first round in 1999, except for the Sedins.

Oh Man., It's funny you posted this topic. I am toying with the idea of starting to collect jordan nolan for the sole purpose that he's the brother of my main PC, Brandon Nolan. But i'm so hesitant to do it. I really don't want to but i'm bored with stalled collections and thought i might give it a try. But he's only had one season and his name sakes are going for 75+, i mean, c'mon. I could blow a lot of money here and the main goal of my hockey cards is to collect something that holds value that my kids could get as a hand me down.

And than theres the 2010-11 dominon patches...that will probably go down as a regret....i really dont want to collect them anymore as sweet as tehy are and im only 4 cards in. HA!
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches

Mine is David Aebischer.

He was a fantastic prospect for the Avs and popped in a great season after Roy retired. I started collecting his cards as a side-project after that and thought it would be great. I pack-pulled a 1/1, and countless other memorabilia cards of his and then he crumbled and vanished. He almost hit the big time again a couple years back with the new Jets, but only stayed in the AHL.

As great as he was in his earlier years, and as nice as his cards are, they just don't hold the value I want them to. As a result, I have a fair stack of Aebischer GU/AU cards that I do not really want to give away, nor do I really want anymore.

Mine was.....Eric Tangradi. ......big guy with potential....but it just never surfaced in Pittsburgh......one of the few Pens players I actually sold my cards of off.
Joe Vitale PC- 104/125= 83% 0 - INCOMING

TRADERS: http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u317/...5/TRADERS/

GAME WORN SITE: http://www.theigloolockerroom.com/

[Image: hughbanner001.png]

(09-06-2013, 08:00 PM)shierydana Wrote: Alexander Daigle
+1

Although, I do have two gamers of his - home and road Sens.. never will get rid of those
[Image: finlandbanner.jpg]
Bucket - http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/phildonu37/ (I don't update my bucket when stuff is gone)

For me its Nikolai Zherdev. This guy had so much raw talent, but ZERO drive & desire. He lazied his way out of the NHL! I grabbed a bunch of his stuff when he came to the Rangers & dumped most of it off on Flyers collectors when he flamed out there. I still have a few left in my ORG if anyone's looking ;-)

What's the incentive for the Russians to try, when they can just go to the KHL and get paid NHL money or more to show up for 6 shifts a game?
[Image: finlandbanner.jpg]
Bucket - http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/phildonu37/ (I don't update my bucket when stuff is gone)

(09-06-2013, 11:20 PM)irbefan4life Wrote: Mine is David Aebischer.
Yep. Also, Dan Blackburn.