`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graded Cards - Sellers Question

RE: Graded Cards - Sellers Question
the prices are GUIDES, hence price guide.. should i find the "motherload" of cards from someone that i buy and they had them all at 100% book value, i'd buy them ALL and make a fortune on ebay. beckett is not always right.. i would say 60% right (from what i collect).. and the older the card, the less they update prices.. i have turned around a few and bought ALOT so cheap i wanted to cry Big Grin

I will tell you this, as a seller, should the price be more or less correct, i have no problem getting 80% to move them fast.. because i either traded what i didn't want or couldn't sell for them or got them wayy cheap. If i paid "full price," they were for my collection and NOT FOR SALE.

As a buyer, i look everywhere for what they SOLD for.. not asking prices.. and the market on collectibles fluctuates violently.. a cetain card kept selling for $20 for about a year.. then an exact same one sold for $262 a few months ago (nothing changed, not graded, nothing), then just a couple of days another exact one sold for $65 buy it now.. whats the price on this card from a buyers point of view? to me? at least $20 with a max of $65. Fair, not fair? doesn't matter. I will just wait til i get a price i want as a buyer.

I hope i made some sense. Good luck to you all and HAVE FUN!
I've got Pro Set for Trade. All years, All sports, including Non-Sport and Errors and Variations. I collect All Pro Set and All Baseball from 1980 - 1991.

Just like any collectible, the price of a card is set by the market which changes daily. A seller can ask anything they want for a card. I sell a lot on ebay and have sold many cards well over BV and well under BV. Book Values just give collectors an 'idea' of what the market is for that card at any given time.

(09-19-2013, 04:30 PM)swimboy84 Wrote: Just like any collectible, the price of a card is set by the market which changes daily. A seller can ask anything they want for a card. I sell a lot on ebay and have sold many cards well over BV and well under BV. Book Values just give collectors an 'idea' of what the market is for that card at any given time.
Totally agree and understand what you are saying but I think my original point has been lost. If you have a $5 card you may sell it for $10 if someone really needs it and doesn't want to wait but you won't sell it for $100 unless someone really doesn't know what they are doing. I just was venting about sellers that list cards for way way over their value and then throw in the "Or best Offer" option. But there really is no way anyone can know the answer to this so it was a silly original question and really more of a rant.
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

One thing I have learned is a lot of peoples "best offers" go up with the asking price. For example - I list a card that sells for $50 every day at $60. The offers come in at $20-$30. But if I list it for $100 then the offers of $50-$60 come in. If people see a high asking price they tend to make their offers higher. I have since done away with best offers and list my card at $60 with immediate payment. Still sell roughly the same amount and have no non paying buyers. If I was to have a $5 card I would list it at $20 just so I wouldn't get the $1 offers and instead would get the $5-$10 offers. People feel they got it for half price and I actually got a fair offer. I say try it. Put a $100 card up for 1 month at $110 OBO then try it for a month at $200 OBO and see the difference.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC