`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying To Stay Focused

RE: Trying To Stay Focused
I started getting back into things once the A's signed Cespedes... My 2009/2012 project was an expensive mission last year as he heated up and rode the tails of the Harper/Trout/Darvish RC boom, but I was pretty into it for all of last season. After watching him look more like Pedro Serrano this year, my enthusiasm for the project dipped as I am waiting for his prices to match performance.

So, I picked the set I liked best this year (Archives) and started another collecting project with the master set. I'm reasonably close to finishing, but my enthusiasm (and my wallet) dipped a bit a few months ago.

Right now, I am just collecting cards I like... for whatever reason. I was impressed by Joc Pederson in the futures game and he is a local kid so I traded for a few nice autos of him/purchased some more... I picked up Kipnis off the waiver wire early-on in my fantasy league, and he is helping carry me to a Roto title, so I picked up a few autos/parallel RC's... I've been impressed with Machado's play this year so I've gotten a few nice RC's/2010 prospect cards of him...

Buying whatever is appealing to me at the time keeps it fun. The archives/Cespedes projects are at the point of completion where they'll need to be added a piece at a time... My needs for both sets are pretty much limited to higher-end stuff and a few random singles here and there... Sometimes I kick myself for spending $30 bucks on a Kipnis Chrome auto + a few Machados, when I see a key Cespedes piece I need go for the same price... But I had more fun picking up the others, and that is what I'm here for.

PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

(08-30-2013, 10:06 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: To your first question, I don't think my BGS/BVG Graded Nolan Ryan collection will ever be complete. I guess the day I die, is the day that it's complete.

And to your second question, I'd never start a new player PC, b/c I don't care about anybody else.
That's awesome that you've been able to maintain your focus since 1990. I couldn't collect a player (unless he retired early and had no inserts).
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

(08-30-2013, 12:30 PM)jhyde77 Wrote: That's awesome that you've been able to maintain your focus since 1990. I couldn't collect a player (unless he retired early and had no inserts).
Thanks man!!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(08-30-2013, 01:21 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: Thanks man!!
How do you think your Nolan BVG/BGS collection compares, in terms of number of cards graded, to the finest master set in the PSA registry? Sounds like you are close on weighted GPA even though PSA is more liberal in handing out 10s. I don't like how the PSA master list stops at 1994 either.
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

(08-30-2013, 05:32 PM)coimbre 21 Wrote: How do you think your Nolan BVG/BGS collection compares, in terms of number of cards graded, to the finest master set in the PSA registry? Sounds like you are close on weighted GPA even though PSA is more liberal in handing out 10s. I don't like how the PSA master list stops at 1994 either.
No where close. He has all the Pacifics and all the Star cards. And a lot more. Of course, there's a lot of cards that PSA has graded, that Beckett hasn't Graded yet. Additionally, there's a lot of cards that Beckett doesn't Grade that PSA has graded.

(08-30-2013, 07:37 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: No where close. He has all the Pacifics and all the Star cards. And a lot more. Of course, there's a lot of cards that PSA has graded, that Beckett hasn't Graded yet. Additionally, there's a lot of cards that Beckett doesn't Grade that PSA has graded.
Well regardless, what you have managed to put together is in a class all its own.
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

(08-30-2013, 09:36 PM)coimbre 21 Wrote: Well regardless, what you have managed to put together is in a class all its own.
Thanks man!!