`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When do you consider a card Vintage???

When do you consider a card Vintage???
In my last post many people mentioned that they now collect Vintage cards. What year do you think a card now becomes vintage. Pre 1986 with the running of the presses non stop and the flood of 1986-1995. Anything before 1980, 1975 or 1970. I'm just curious what people consider a card from a year to be Vintage.

RE: When do you consider a card Vintage???
I asked a similar question on Beckett's vintage forum a couple years ago. Most people either said pre-1980 or pre-1970. As with most baseball card topics, there was no real consensus when I asked the question. Interested to see how people respond this time around.
Collect Kirk Gibson (Tigers), Lou Whitaker, Alan Trammell, Jack Morris (Tigers), Lance Parrish (Tigers), Sparky Anderson (Tigers), Tom Brookens (Tigers), as well as earlier Tigers greats like Al Kaline, Norm Cash, Mickey Lolich, Willie Horton,etc.

I consider vintage more based on the times when card collecting was a simpler hobby. If memory serves me right pre-1985 Topps was the majority game in town..(save a few like donruss).

It was a simple card, no serial #'s, SP's, auto/mem and all the other stuff.
I consider everything else to be "modern era.

Not saying either is better, but I have found that for the price of a box or two of modern era product you can build nice vintage sets.
Collecting Vintage football and all things Mickey Mantle.
[Image: th_598ff54f.jpg]

To me it's when the cards get that distinct musty smell to them. That's pretty much early 80s and back.
[Image: B6aktTl.png]

I collect Bears, Celtics, Yankees, Cardinals prospects, and Razorbacks

I'm no vintage expert but for my small vintage PC I would consider it 75 and older.
[Image: youkjumbosig_zps780de657.png]
Help me find the last one of these ^^^!!!
Bucket http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/ab292/20youksox
Current Youkilis Count:602/2117- 28.43%

I would say the age of the card because at one time something was new. So lets say 25 years for a card to be vintage which would make 1988 the new vintage year.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

(08-13-2013, 11:08 PM)chrisa19978 Wrote: I would say the age of the card because at one time something was new. So lets say 25 years for a card to be vintage which would make 1988 the new vintage year.
YEY!!!!!!!!! So in a couple of years then all my 90s junk will be vintage too!!! LOL
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(08-13-2013, 11:08 PM)chrisa19978 Wrote: I would say the age of the card because at one time something was new. So lets say 25 years for a card to be vintage which would make 1988 the new vintage year.
Nice idea...kind of like antique cars. Antigue/Vintage designation after 25 years.

Vintage to a collector is whateveer they decide is vintage. I think the industry norm is pre-1976. I myself use 1968 and before as vintage (in line with the creation of divisions & playoffs which started in 1969)

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

any card made before I was born. I dont want to ever call myself vintage. LOL

Most Antques are 50 years soooo.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

You won't get any backlash for calling something "vintage" if it's 1980 or earlier. That seems to be the overall consensus with a few differing opinions. Not all "vintage" is alike of course.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]