`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When do you consider a card Vintage???

RE: When do you consider a card Vintage???
Anything before I was born (1980).
I'm always open to trading.  My wants are varied (multiple sets from 1980 to now and some misc. players) and all my wants are marked.  Open offers welcome!

Trade Scans

Maybe aspects of the 1980's cards are changing. I purchase a lot of cards from a web site called Dave & Adams and this past week I noticed that they didn't have any more 1986 wax boxes or vending boxes for sale or in stock. Its funny but I purchased a vending case of 1986 cards (24,000). Maybe there is still a demand for cards from 1986 for people who still build sets or for younger collectors who want a set of Topps cards going back in time. My collection of Topps cards go back to 1975. I wish Mom didn't throw away my shoe boxes of 1967-68, now those I consider Vintage. I like both aspects of what people call Vintage anything from 1980 and before, but also like the idea of any card being 25 years or older. If you have kept a card without your Mom, Wife, or Girlfriend throwing it away after 25 years, that to me is Vintage....

(08-14-2013, 10:39 AM)corbin21 Wrote: Maybe aspects of the 1980's cards are changing. I purchase a lot of cards from a web site called Dave & Adams and this past week I noticed that they didn't have any more 1986 wax boxes or vending boxes for sale or in stock. Its funny but I purchased a vending case of 1986 cards (24,000). Maybe there is still a demand for cards from 1986 for people who still build sets or for younger collectors who want a set of Topps cards going back in time. My collection of Topps cards go back to 1975. I wish Mom didn't throw away my shoe boxes of 1967-68, now those I consider Vintage. I like both aspects of what people call Vintage anything from 1980 and before, but also like the idea of any card being 25 years or older. If you have kept a card without your Mom, Wife, or Girlfriend throwing it away after 25 years, that to me is Vintage....
Mine are off limits to everyone!!! I dont even show them around lol
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

Lately for me it's the 50s and 60s only because I've started buying some older cards and this is all I have
[Image: 6C3028DA-222D-46AB-98B7-BD7D0829F4B5-819...1b74d5.jpg]

"Vintage" by definition is :an exceptionally fine wine from the crop of a good year, from the french Vintner+age.
It's an extremely subjective thing .... The reason it's so hard to nail down a definitive time frame for Vintage cards is that it's always different for different people of different ages.
All I know is 1972 and before is my personal Vintage timeline.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Hmmmm...i find it interesting that Beckett offers a Beckett VINTAGE grading service and no one actually checked there. Here is what Beckett lists vintage as:

"Beckett Vintage Grading services is the way to have a vintage card graded. The service recognizes the difference in production technologies between modern and pre-1981 cards, especially in the condition of the cards' surface and edges. Cards produced earlier than 1981 are generally recognized as "vintage" cards by most dealers and collectors."

Of course, everyone that responded to this thread is correct, because I'd like to think that it is what YOU believe to be "vintage." But for those that may want a more "concrete" definition, I would go with what Beckett lists "vintage" as.

Excellent, I guess you have found the Holy Grail and answered my question. Thanks for the post it was of great value to me and I'm sure to many people who have read the different replies that people have written.

(08-14-2013, 06:38 PM)kstjst Wrote: Hmmmm...i find it interesting that Beckett offers a Beckett VINTAGE grading service and no one actually checked there. Here is what Beckett lists vintage as:

"Beckett Vintage Grading services is the way to have a vintage card graded. The service recognizes the difference in production technologies between modern and pre-1981 cards, especially in the condition of the cards' surface and edges. Cards produced earlier than 1981 are generally recognized as "vintage" cards by most dealers and collectors."

Of course, everyone that responded to this thread is correct, because I'd like to think that it is what YOU believe to be "vintage." But for those that may want a more "concrete" definition, I would go with what Beckett lists "vintage" as.
+34 Finally!! I kept waiting for someone to say this answer and no one did until the next to last comment.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

or since I was born in 91, anything older than me is Vintage, since I am now in denial about my old age! Tongue lol jk pre-1981
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

(08-15-2013, 08:11 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: or since I was born in 91, anything older than me is Vintage, since I am now in denial about my old age! lol jk pre-1981
+34
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!