`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Brand and Years have the Best Rainbow sets to collect?

Which Brand and Years have the Best Rainbow sets to collect?
Hi All,

Wanted to get peoples opinion on which brand with inserts/parallels/refractors, etc that qualify as falling into the "Rainbow" collecting scheme do you feel are the best for each year as far back as you want to go and up to current 2013.

Forget about $$$ and rareness, just think only about the beauty of the card overall when you display a player's rainbow set for that Brand and Year in a frame on the wall as the light gleams off it for example.

Please list Brand, Year, Type of insert and why you like it.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions and thank you for contributing.

Ed

RE: Which Brand and Years have the Best Rainbow sets to collect?
I really like the 2006 Topps Triple Threads Relic and Relic Combos. There's only three levels - Base (bronze), gold, and platinum - but the colors are sharp and I think they're still the sharpest looking memorabilia sets that Triple Threads has produced.

Here are a few examples from my Greg Maddux PC:
2006 Topps Triple Threads Relic #100 Greg Maddux Patch-Bat-Patch photo 2006ToppsTripleThreadsRelic100GregMadduxPatch-Bat-Patch.jpg
2006 Topps Triple Threads Relic Gold #100 Greg Maddux photo 2006ToppsTripleThreadsRelicGold100GregMaddux.jpg
2006 Topps Triple Threads Relic Platinum #100 Greg Maddux photo 2006ToppsTripleThreadsRelicPlatinum100GregMaddux.jpg
2006 Topps Triple Threads Relic Combos #35 Greg Maddux, Nolan Ryan, and Steve Carlton photo 2006ToppsTripleThreadsRelicCombos35GregMadduxNolanRyanandSteveCarlton.jpg
2006 Topps Triple Threads Relic Combos Gold #35 Greg Maddux, Nolan Ryan, and Steve Carlton photo 2006ToppsTripleThreadsRelicCombosGold35GregMadduxNolanRyanandSteveCarlton.jpg
2006 Topps Triple Threads Relic Combos Platinum #35 Greg Maddux, Nolan Ryan, and Steve Carlton photo 2006ToppsTripleThreadsRelicCombosPlatinum35GregMadduxNolanRyanandSteveCarlton.jpg
I'm always open to trading.  My wants are varied (multiple sets from 1980 to now and some misc. players) and all my wants are marked.  Open offers welcome!

Trade Scans

I agree with flood. I have a musial triple relic auto from that set and it's beautiful. Although I still think topps chrome has the best rainbows.
Collecting: Crede, Luck, Tannehill, Osweiler, Cobb

Revolving signature

Bowman and Topps Chrome are the most traditional, but I am a big fan of the 2012 Topps Tribute relics. The cards are stunning in person and the lower numbered cards have the potential for great patches. I think any year of Tribute would be cool though. Here is a scan of mine. It looks so much better in person.

[Image: 1maildayrainbow_zps140211d3.jpg]

As the above posters said Triple Threads would make a great rainbow too, regardless of the year (although I particularly like 2006 and 2010).
[Image: youkjumbosig_zps780de657.png]
Help me find the last one of these ^^^!!!
Bucket http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/ab292/20youksox
Current Youkilis Count:602/2117- 28.43%

I know Topps and Bowman are the most popular for rainbows but I'm old school and have been trying to complete a rainbow of 2000 Pacific Prism for the past 13 years. I have not yet been successful (anyone want to help?) but I really like the different colors and patterns.

There are 16 versions to chase.

2000 Pacific Prism (base)
2000 Pacific Prism Drops Silver/916
2000 Pacific Prism Holographic Blue/80
2000 Pacific Prism Holographic Gold/480
2000 Pacific Prism Holographic Mirror/160
2000 Pacific Prism Holographic Purple/99
2000 Pacific Prism Pebbly Dots/691
2000 Pacific Prism Premiere Date/61
2000 Pacific Prism Proofs/10
2000 Pacific Prism Rapture Gold/565
2000 Pacific Prism Rapture Silver/916
2000 Pacific Prism Sheen Silver/565
2000 Pacific Prism Slider Silver/334
2000 Pacific Prism Texture Silver/448
2000 Pacific Prism Tinsel Silver/23
2000 Pacific Prism Woodgrain Silver/331

I do have samples of most, just not all of the same player.

I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(08-12-2013, 09:24 PM)zeprock Wrote: I know Topps and Bowman are the most popular for rainbows but I'm old school and have been trying to complete a rainbow of 2000 Pacific Prism for the past 13 years. I have not yet been successful (anyone want to help?) but I really like the different colors and patterns.
I completely for got about this one because it's so frustrating to find them at a reasonable price. The textured backgrounds were a great idea. Pacific did some really neat things in the late 90s/early 00s.
I'm always open to trading.  My wants are varied (multiple sets from 1980 to now and some misc. players) and all my wants are marked.  Open offers welcome!

Trade Scans

To me Bowman Chrome and topps chrome have the best... Ive never completed on of either ive attempted but the lower end cards are so damn expensive. However 2012 Bowman Sterling I was able to put this together still missin a few pieces but all are one of ones

[Image: image_zps960dac38.jpg]

https://rad3427.imgbb.com/
WANT LIST
1. Nolan Arenado RCs (all colors)
2. Ken Griffey Jr (90s inserts)
3. Bryce Harper RCs (all colors)
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto