`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Would You Ever Buy A Trimmed Card?

RE: Would You Ever Buy A Trimmed Card?
I wouldn't trade my chest hair for a trimmed or otherwise altered card. That's just my opinion and mine alone.
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

It depends on the card...if i can easily get it unaltered than no...but if its a prewar vintage for my pc you are darn right i will!
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

(08-05-2013, 08:35 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: OP...what's a trimmed card?
They micro trim 'fuzzy' edges and 'harden' soft corners. Recently a famous auction house sold a Honus Wagner for big bucks and later it was discovered the card was trimmed (with their knowledge) but was never disclosed to the bidders. A huge blunder.
Increased eye appeal, but only slightly increases the actual intrinsic value of the card. In the comic book world professional trimming, pressing and cleaning (sometimes color touch) is contraversal but considered okay as long as there isn't any deception to the buyer.
There is a market for people that want to own a "key" book or card, but could never afford one in decent shape. It's a viable alternative. .... It's okay to me, as long as there's no deception involved.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(08-05-2013, 03:17 PM)Merovius Wrote: I guess Id expect that sort of answer from a guy with Clemens and Bonds in his sig.

Im a purist.
if serious - .....

if joking ... perhaps a hint of your tone might help next time. cause if you had followed that up with laughing or haha just kidding but thanks for the response...fair enough. I woulda been amused. but nope.

if serious *shake head*

to answer question: I probably wouldn't unless it was a ridiculously good deal - for the most part if its a card I can't afford in the condition I'd want that just means I'd need to save up longer. I'd rather not sacrifice down on quality but - really would depend on the card and the price / how it looked.
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

Q: Would you buy a trimmed card

A: Depends on the player; would have loved a trimmed T206 Wagner, Cobb, Young don’t think it hurts the value of vintage stuff especially higher end, but anything post war is questionable - again depends on the player.

(08-05-2013, 10:54 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: They micro trim 'fuzzy' edges and 'harden' soft corners. Recently a famous auction house sold a Honus Wagner for big bucks and later it was discovered the card was trimmed (with their knowledge) but was never disclosed to the bidders. A huge blunder.
Increased eye appeal, but only slightly increases the actual intrinsic value of the card. In the comic book world professional trimming, pressing and cleaning (sometimes color touch) is contraversal but considered okay as long as there isn't any deception to the buyer.
There is a market for people that want to own a "key" book or card, but could never afford one in decent shape. It's a viable alternative. .... It's okay to me, as long as there's no deception involved.
Baiting DrM.....but thanks for the explaination

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(08-06-2013, 11:34 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Baiting DrM.....but thanks for the explaination
Sorry, my man! Sarcasm is lost on me sometimes ... Figured you knew what it was ... You know your stuff about cards, but didn't want to assume.
Maybe the explanation helped someone else?
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I sure wouldn't buy a trimmed card. Of course, I only buy BGS/BVG Graded Nolan Ryans. I don't collect any other players.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Yes with an explanation but a trimmed card for the right reasons is just fine.