Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Authentic/Altered grade

Authentic/Altered grade
Hi all,

a thread a month or so ago about low graded Jordan RCs got me thinking that it would be quite cool to pick one up if I could get it on the cheap.

Coincidently one has popped up on Trademe (kiwi Ebay as such) that has been graded as Authentic/Altered. I'm not greatly knowledgeable on grading but from what I can find this means the card is genuine but has been tampered with in some way. (Presumably to try and improve its quality I suppose?).

Anyway just wanted to get some more experienced members opinions/knowledge.

This is the card http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing....=614338413
[Image: 15d2r7p.jpg]

RE: Authentic/Altered grade
(07-21-2013, 02:58 AM)dodgydave Wrote: Hi all,

a thread a month or so ago about low graded Jordan RCs got me thinking that it would be quite cool to pick one up if I could get it on the cheap.

Coincidently one has popped up on Trademe (kiwi Ebay as such) that has been graded as Authentic/Altered. I'm not greatly knowledgeable on grading but from what I can find this means the card is genuine but has been tampered with in some way. (Presumably to try and improve its quality I suppose?).

Anyway just wanted to get some more experienced members opinions/knowledge.

This is the card http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing....=614338413
yes so as you said the card IS real, its authentic, and it has been altered. this can be as simple as some 10 year old kid in '96 trying to make it look "prettier" or it could be a pro trying to up its value. ive seen a few of these floating around on the internet and at card shows. at the card shows ive seen 3 or 4 of them that comes to mind, generally the dealers/owners asked in the range of 175-250 which i think is about right. personally i would max out at 200 for an altered jordan rc but buy at your own discretion. i do not see this as a good "investment" because at the end of the day it seems to have the same as a jordan rc graded below 2.5
I collect mainly New York Mets, New York Sports legends of any sport, and pretty much any "legend".

Michael Jordan
Lebron James RC's + autos
Kobe Bryant 96-97 Topps Chrome + autos
Geno Smith autos

Thanks for that. I certainly wouldn't invest a lot in it and if I did pick it up it would purely to be to own a piece of "history" as such.

Yes, it looks altered and poorly. It looks like somebody tried to recolor three of the corners and along the upper right edge. Personally I would go for one that hasn't been tampered with in a low grade if I just wanted one.

I have some experience with this also. I bought the fleer set with stickers. When I sent the Jordan in for grading it came back authentic/altered. It appeared that somehow a small ink mark had gotten on it and someone had tried to erase it off. It was so small I didn't even notice it when I bought the set. The only redeeming factor for me was that I paid less for the whole set including stickers then the Jordan cost by itself.
I collect Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Kevin Garnett also certain High End Celtics HOF's.

[Image: jordanbird_edited-1.gif]

The guy is looking for more than I'd be willing to pay for it even if it wasn't altered so I won't be picking this one up. I would certainly prefer a low grade unaltered one (asuming one ever becomes available here in NZ).

Thanks for the info though guys.

What does the altered mean? I submitted a jeter sp and got it back authentic but altered. They gave no explanation as to what they mean. They spent the time to slab it so what's wrong with it?

Most of the time when you see an Authentic - Altered slabbed card it has been shaved to try and improve the centering/edges of the card in question.

I personally had a REALLY NICE MJ Fleer RC come back as being shaved. I got $500 for it on eBay so that is really the max you can get for something like that. That is exactly why I won't spend more than $450 on a raw Jordan RC.

Anything can be a good investment if you buy it cheap enough.

The 86-87 fleer Jordan rc has value in ANY grade altered or not! The value just depends on what you pay for it. People are crazy about Jordan rc's and will pay for them. Like most things, if you buy cheap enough, you can make a profit. Even beat up, creased up, altered Jordan rc's still have value but again...it all depends on what you pay for it.
I've been tracking Jordan cards for years now and I'm astonished at what prices people will pay for extremely low grade and even altered versions of the Jordan fleer rc.