`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your thoughts on this? Trading

RE: Your thoughts on this? Trading
Thanks for all the input guys. Im glad I see things on the same page.

If its a hard set to put together, ya I could understand giving up some nicer cards.

But some people like to go BV to BV, which is why Ill prob now stay away from a few members on here.

Your right also, being nice to that person is key. But you cant be like "I just took all that time to pull all them cards" and now they want almost same BV.

Since I have become a set builder it has become more and more frustrating to trade here because of what people ask for in return for base cards. I have been fortunate to gain some local connections through my LCS for base for next to nothing. I don't mind trading straight up when it is the SP's or other hard to find cards but I just can't see giving away hits for base anymore.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

Thats where Im at now Haze. I took a big hit in what i call good inserts ranging from 5.00 to 20.00, all in return for .40-1.50ish base cards.
I thought about just saying heck with the trade but they kinda played the guilt card of pulling the cards, and played the nice guy at same time. I sent 75 cards at 300ish bv for 282 cards at about bv. I wasnt happy about it at all, but o well lesson learned I suppose.
Not to mention just had a trade cancelled cause i didnt want to give up a gu bv at 80.00 for 90 in base cards and like 3 or 3 mantles inserts...o well..

If I get a trade where I can unload that many commons to help someone out with their set, then great because they're also doing me a favor.

When it comes to a quantity like 50-100 and if the BV was something like $85, there is no way I'm going to ask for that much BV in return unless I was just getting other commons in return.

Each trade is definitely different and there are different factors for each so, for the sake of not spending all afternoon responding to this, I'll stop now. [Image: biggrin.gif]

(07-19-2013, 11:19 AM)pjpitbull Wrote: [/i]but they kinda played the guilt card of pulling the cards,and played the nice guy at same time.[/i] I sent 75 cards at 300ish bv for 282 cards at about bv.
Seriously? Nobody is forcing them to be on here trading in the first place so if spending some time pulling cards is that much of a hassle for them, they shouldn't be doing it. Hell, if I was trading away 282 cards with that BV (and depending on players and cards) I'd probably be looking at max in return back $50-$60 and none of them AU or GU. And if someone has to play the nice guy routine, then they really aren't.

Ah well, now you know for next time though!

(07-19-2013, 11:19 AM)pjpitbull Wrote: Not to mention just had a trade cancelled cause i didnt want to give up a gu bv at 80.00 for 90 in base cards and like 3 or 3 mantles inserts...o well..
Some people are ridiculous in thier requests when it comes to even-ing up BV. My philosophy is....if I have a card marked for trade, I don't want it and it's sitting in a box not being enjoyed; have at 'em (not that there is anything special LOL). If you have something I want/need, we can work it out. Now I don't wily-nily just "give" cards away, but if I can make you happy and vice versa, BV is irrelevent to me. I focus on what a card cost me more than on BV / SV.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Being a set builder I totally feel your frustration. I don't mind trading away most cards (at even book value), but there are some that I just won't trade for base commons. Particularly if the card they are wanting is selling for above book value, or the card I want hasn't had it's value updated in Beckett in years (like a 1999 Bowman Chrome Willi Mo Pena card) and hence is overpriced in "book value".
My biggest peeve is when someone "only" wants to trade for HOT cards at book value when I am asking for commons. It is even more frustrating when that same person comes back after a few days of going back and forth on the trade and decides they no longer want the card (because the HOT player cooled down, and the card isn't selling as well). I generally don't put the latest rookies in my ORG for trade because of this.
The biggest frustration when it comes to set building is those times where I needed a few cards for a set and the value of those cards was greater than the value of the complete set.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Think it all boils down to is a mutual moral thing.

Like many have said and I agree. You need my base/commons for a set by all means get at them lol. Makes room for more cards,helps you out with a set, and I might get a few small pc cards. I dont know how many Gypse Queen Mantles I have but I guess around 7, like 10 or so walmart refractors Mantles. He is my main PC so i will double up on my pc if i dont see anything else in your org i need. I know I have trade 20ish cards for 1 card simply cause I dont need the other cards. Plus I get PC lol Smile

Like said. Its morals, respect, and the joy of helping out others.

(07-19-2013, 11:19 AM)pjpitbull Wrote: Thats where Im at now Haze. I took a big hit in what i call good inserts ranging from 5.00 to 20.00, all in return for .40-1.50ish base cards.
I thought about just saying heck with the trade but they kinda played the guilt card of pulling the cards, and played the nice guy at same time. I sent 75 cards at 300ish bv for 282 cards at about bv. I wasnt happy about it at all, but o well lesson learned I suppose.
Not to mention just had a trade cancelled cause i didnt want to give up a gu bv at 80.00 for 90 in base cards and like 3 or 3 mantles inserts...o well..
That guilt trip bs was laid on me a while back too, the trade was something like 90 cards from him for a by of 120 bucks for 4 cards of mine(3 autos) for the same value. He sent the counter offer, said all of the cards were pulled and ready to ship. I told him I couldn't trade that lopsided and he said it wasn't, it was the same bv. Soo, I just left the trade open till he cancelled lol.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

(07-19-2013, 10:25 AM)Haze28 Wrote: Since I have become a set builder it has become more and more frustrating to trade here because of what people ask for in return for base cards. I have been fortunate to gain some local connections through my LCS for base for next to nothing. I don't mind trading straight up when it is the SP's or other hard to find cards but I just can't see giving away hits for base anymore.
No, you shouldn't ... and to clarify my point(s), say if you and I were making a trade, and you needed like 150 Topps cards for a complete set, and you offered up a Trout SP or something, I would do it in a heartbeat.

So you'd be getting roughly $100-150 in "book value" and I'd "only" be getting a $30 SP, but I'd be WAY good with it ... as long as you were.

One big thing for me is the "caliber" of cards I'm trading versus getting ... like, right now I'm in the middle of trading away a $200 Kobe Bryant auto ... would never even consider it for $1,000 worth of base cards ... you see what I'm saying?

I can see what your saying rj. I think thats how it should be also. I admit I should have stood my ground and said no, but I didnt so that my fault. Lesson learned
But people need to realize and i think this is a big problem. Just because someone wants 200-300 of your base cards for certain sets at bv lets say 175.00, that does not entitle you to a 150.00 or what ever card. Be smart about what your asking in return. People tend to forget there is a place called the ebay, where alot of cards can be had in lots for stupid cheap. But id rather trade for them, then spend money

And ya caliber of card(s) will typically make or brake a deal, which is I dont really trade gu/auto/for non gu/auto, unless its for a vintage Mantle lol

Also would like to correct my self. Some of the cards mentioned in the trade above i did that i sent there were some under the 5.00 range.